From:
Debi Christy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:26:57 -0700
The good news is: there is a chance that since the pancreatic surgery was
done so early (before insulinoma diagnosis) that the surgery might have
cured the developing disease.  I have one of those very rare cured
ferrets, also.  His pancreatic tumors were found and removed during an
adrenal surgery.  That was two years ago.  Normally, insulinoma symptoms
return within a year of an insulinoma surgery.  Jelly has had no
insulinoma symptoms at all in that time, nor had he had any insulinoma
symptoms prior to the surgery.

I have two other ferrets, Posey and Chiquita, that had undiagnosed
insulinomas at the time of adrenal surgery this year.  So far, neither of
them have exhibited any insulinoma symptoms, either, so my fingers are
crossed for them as well.

Treats: they USED to tell us "no sweets for insulinoma ferrets".  New
research has shown that the pancreas of insulinoma ferrets does not react
the same way as a reaction to sweet treats the same way it occurs in a
healthy ferret.  Now, sugary treats (moderately) are RECOMMENDED for
insulinoma ferrets but NOT for healthy ferrets.

Occasional sugary treats are not going to hurt your ferret.  Even 1 or 2
mildly sweet treats a day such as the fruits you are giving is well
within bounds.  I give a daily sweet treat to Jelly, Posey, and Chiquita.

Vets USED to prescribe Karo syrup as a treatment for insulinoma, then
that practice was generally discontinued, and some vets mix pred with
Karo.

For Luigi, his teeth grinding & appetite loss could very well be
borderline insulinoma symptoms (but I would expect blood sugar levels
under 80; insulinoma is not diagnosed until it's less than 70).  Or
his symptoms may simply be an elderly digestive tract that's easily
irritated.  The ever present helicobacter becomes more of a problem in
older ferrets, also, and can precipitate symptoms like Luigi's.

I have one young ferret, Lucky, 3yrs old., that has recurring bouts of
intestinal tract irritation with the same symptoms as Luigi.  He stops
playing, stops eating, grinds his teeth, and if I don't catch it within
the first few days he starts losing weight rapidly.  I put him on 1.0ml
pediapred for 1 week, then 0.5ml pediapred for the next week, and feed
him chicken baby food at least twice a day.  If he's not eating regular
kibble the first few days, I feed him small amounts (a heaping teaspoon)
of baby food every 2 or 3 hours until his appetite returns.  The chicken
baby food is easier to digest and easier on the stomach and intestinal
tract than their regular kibble.  The smaller amounts, more frequently
are less likely to increase the stomach upset.

A half a jar of chicken baby (plain, no veggies added)a day is sufficient
nutrition, but a whole jar a day is preferable.  Nutri-Cal is an
excellent supplement.

Chicken baby food can also be given twice daily as a standard dietary
supplement for insulinoma ferrets.  A couple of teaspoons (warmed)
morning and night as a protein boost will keep their metabolism up and
blood sugar production going.  (I use a kibble soup with egg yolk added
for this.  I've always got soup blended in the fridge anyway for a
variety of treatments and as just a daily treat, so adding an egg yolk to
an 8oz.  jar for my insulinoma kids is simpler for me.  The recipe is on
my web site in the Feeding a Sick Ferret article.)

With all digestive tract problems it's important to keep an eye out for
black tarry poops.  This is an indication that the stomach is bleeding
from ulcers and Carafate needs to be prescribed.  The sooner you start
the Carafate, the better.  I always keep some in the cabinet in case
ulcer symptoms start showing on weekends.  Just 12 hours can make a big
difference in heading off a serious ulcer problem.

Pred does help to stimulate the appetite, but it also fights
inflammation.  A 7 year old may be starting to slow down in activity,
but he should still have a spurt of energy now and then, just not as
regularly or as often.

Debi Christy
Ferrets First Foster Home

Practical & easy training, care, & maintenance articles available at
http://www.geocities.com/ferretsfirst/