Date:
Thu, 8 Mar 2007 13:56:23 EST
There has been a couple of posts the last few days regarding ferrets
in CA that have made me cringe. I have been the Southern, CA Rescue
Coordinator for CDFA, FURR rescue for over 5 years and feel qualified
to make this post.

First to Melissa, I am so glad to hear your Zelda was found. It's nice
to have happy endings to these kind of things when so often we don't.
The fact that you work for the local PD and they don't care that you
have ferrets can mean a multitude of things. I have found that many of
the agencies don't like the laws any more than we do. But it is still
the law. While you CO workers may turn the other cheek now, if they get
a report they will have to act. It's their job. Most ferrets aren't
picked up for no reason. Generally an angry ex boyfriend, girlfriend,
husband, wife, friend, co worker, neighbor turns a ferret owner in. Or
if PD gets called in to a home for another reason.

Taking your ferret to the park and to PetCo is like playing Russian
roulette. You have been lucky. Not only are you taking a chance with
your ferret. You are giving other people the idea that ferrets are
okay to take out in public.

Your words about having a back up plan for your ferrets if something
happens is so right on the money. So few do this. But again, it's
costly. The way Fish & Game has it set up is if your ferret is seized
you have the right to have your ferret shipped out of state by a bonded
courier. This can cost 300+ depending on the situation. There are a lot
of small variations here, this is the basics.

To say the laws aren't really enforced is so off the wall. I have calls
every week. Rarely a week goes by when I haven't gotten a call. I have
had 3 this week. These laws ARE inforced. Please don't give people the
impression they aren't. You put their ferrets in danger.

Robin Jones