From:
Jaclyn Vanderhoef <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 09:33:13 PDT
Hi all,

>From:    Lisa Carswell <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: One in a million

I've not posted to the list in a few months.  But, I do have somenthing to
say to this!  I am a ferret owner.  I am 21.  My boyfriend and I just got
out of college.  He is a pilot.  Right now he is going to flight school
and I am not working.  We just moved and I have not found the right job.
Neither of us are making money, but we have a reserve to live off of for
a while.  I had two ferrets when I moved here two weeks ago.  Now, I have
three.  A sweet little guy needed a home.  If he didn't get one, another
little angel would not have been able to be taken into the local shelter,
which was over-full.  One of my boys is 6.5 yrs and insulinomic,
post-surgery.

If any of my ferrets were to need help beyond my immediate funds, well,
they are why I have a credit card.  Also, the vet would be willing, like
Lisa said, to help make arrangements.  My family would help too, but it
would have to be pretty bad.  I hate to ask for more help after they put
me through school.

What I am getting at here is this: I have no extra money.  We rarely go out
to eat.  We entertain ourselves on a minimal budget.  The beach is free.
The ferrets love toys that are homemade more than $$$ store bought ones.
They eat the best food, live in a huge cage and, if I say myself would
never know we are poor.

We learned quickly and all through college we used our money as best we
could.  We have motorhead hobbies, so we spend a lot money on our cars and
motorcycle.  The ferrets never suffered for it.  Managing money is key if
you ask me.

My situation will change.  A pilot has a good income.  I will have a job
soon.  Some people may not become richer.  Either way, as long as the
weasels receive the love, caring, and medical attention that they need, I
can't see ANY reason for someone not be a ferret owner.  What is the
alternative, an over-crowded shelter, a new home with who knows what kind
of care, or by the most uneducated, "releasing them back to the wild."
That is preposterous.

Lisa, There is nothing wrong with what you are doing.  Don't let anyone
convince you otherwise.

Thanks for hearing my side.
Jacki
Kif, Trevor and Fred