From:
Mustela Putorious <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 2006 17:22:32 -0700
Ahhh, sweet slumber. Many of my happier memories take place in my
dreams. I could stay lost in a deep sleep for a very long time if my
stomach wasn't constantly begging me for more food. But, it does. I
always get hungry or someone or something wakes me up. Take earlier
this morning for example.

I was running through a field of wildflowers and tall grasses, I could
smell the sweet scent of the flower's perfume and feel the cool green
grass on my feet. The sky was such a brilliant shade of summer blue and
there wasn't a cloud in the sky. I was running and running, almost in
slow motion...suddenly I looked up and saw my Fancy ferret running
towards me, her lovely arms outstretched, I could tell she was saying
my name, "Musty Pete", although I couldn't hear her. I was running
towards her shouting, "Fancy My Love" anticipating feeling her hugging
me and hearing her say how much she loves me, and then I fell, I
tumbled and rolled and rolled and tumbled and everything went black,
then I hit the floor with a thud....I was in my cottage, laying on the
hard wood floor below my hammie, with my blanket wrapped around my
head, and all I could hear was the voice of Mr Big saying "MUSTY PETE"
crackling over the intercom.

I stubbed my toe trying to get up and out of the tangled blanket,
punched the button on the intercom and said, "WHAT IS IT?" and then
I realized who I was speaking to and quickly added, "Sir."

"You have an early bridge greeting, a sweet little girl named Shadow,
she will be arriving very soon, so get a move on."

"Yes Sir, I'm on my way." I said .

I stretched and yawned, wanting to climb back into my hammock and go
back into my dream, Fancy was so pretty and I missed her so much. But I
have responsibilities as a Bridge Greeter and when duty calls....well,
when duty calls I do my best. It's my job to help new arrivals get over
their fears, and to explain what is happening to them so they are not
frightened or confused. It's my job to make them feel welcome and safe.

I wished I had time for a big breakfast, but I felt the need to get to
the Bridge quickly. I had just enough time to swing by Francis Ferret's
and get some information on Shadow, our newest arrival. I ambled over
to Francis' cottage, she was already outdoors hanging some freshly
washed linens out to dry.

"Oh Hello Pete. What are you up to this morning?" she asked cheerfully.

"'Morning Francis. I have a new arrival coming in and would like to
take a peek at her file, if that's alright." Francis put down her
laundry basket and asked me to follow her inside. She is the most
organized ferret I have ever known. There's a place for everything
and everything is in it's place. She keeps all her files neatly in
alphabetical order in a file cabinet that holds the stories of every
creature who has ever come to the Rainbow Bridge. No one really knows
how long Francis has been here, but I am guessing it's been a very
long time....so long, in fact, that no one here can remember who did
Francis' job before her.

"Here you go Pete, this is Shadow's file." she said as she handed me
the folder.

Shadow/ female/ deaf/ 5.6 years old/ Loved by Kelley and Jeff
Meeting siblings at R.B. = Felix, Oscar and Justin/ Shadow has her
own blanket and her favorite jingle ball with her. She is described
as petite and lovely. She is a Daddy's Girl.

"Well, that's not a lot to go on, but I am sure it will be enough. Okay
Miss Francis, I am off to the Bridge. I will check in with you later
and bring little Miss Shadow with me. Thanks for your help." I said as
I walked out the door.

"Take care Pete, I look forward to meeting Shadow." Francis said as she
waved.

The walk to the Bridge from Francis' cottage is a quick one, I wanted
to be sure to get there before Shadow arrived. You see, a curious thing
happens with animals who are deaf, as well as those who are blind.
Their hearing and sight comes to them gradually after they cross the
Bridge, and sometimes it scares them. Especially the ones who have been
deaf or blind since birth. They cannot quite understand what is
happening to them as their senses awaken.

Everything is quiet at the Bridge. The morning fog is lifting and the
grass and flowers are covered with dew. An early morning rainbow is
hovering just above the horizon. I think morning is my favorite time to
be at the Bridge, it seems more alive and magical to me. It lifts my
soul and makes me feel so happy inside.

I think I will just sit on my favorite stone bench and wait for Shadow
to arrive. I can hear the lilting hum of the Ferret Promise Song, it's
very quiet today, way off in the distance, barely there. Perhaps it is
quiet so it won't scare Shadow when she hears it. A cool breeze washes
over me, I close my eyes and drink it in and when I open my eyes, there
is a pretty little girlie fert walking tentatively across the bridge
towards me. She is carrying her blanket and her jingle ball. She is
very sweet. Slowly I approach her, so as not to scare her. I say "Hi.
My name is Musty Pete. I am a Bridge Greeter here at the Rainbow
Bridge." But I don't think she can hear me yet. She looks nervous.
Again I say, "Hi. My name is Musty Pete. You must be Shadow." and she
suddenly has a surprised look on her face. She says in a very quiet
voice, "I can hear you.....you said my name, Shadow."

I smiled, one of my really big, I'm-so-happy-for-you smiles. And she
smiled back at me. I said, "Can you hear me now Shadow?" and she smiled
again, "Yes, I can hear you." and one small tear fell from the corner
of her eye. I know this was a tear of happiness, a tear of joy. A tear
that told me she believed in the Rainbow Bridge and all that it stands
for.

"My name is Musty Pete." I said "I am a Bridge Greeter here at the
Rainbow Bridge. Do you know where you are now?" she smiled at me, what
a sweet face she has. She nodded and said, "I know this place Pete. I
have seen it in my dreams. I knew one day I would come to this place
and I knew it would be this beautiful. I just knew it."

"Well, there is a lot more of it to see, but when a deaf ferret arrives
I like to let them just observe and LISTEN for the first day. There is
so much for you to hear and I don't want you to miss anything or be
overwhelmed. So I am going to bring you to my good friend Francis
Ferret's cottage and you will stay with her for a few days she is a
sweet lady and she will look after all your needs.

After you get settled in, I will take you on the Grand Tour. Welcome to
the Rainbow Bridge Miss Shadow."

To request a bridge greeting please email: