From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1993 16:24:05 -0500

In issue 391 [log in to unmask] (Roger D. McMillian) writes:

> Pat - you're quite correct. While no real study of ferrets has yet been done,
> estimates are tha they're somewhere around #7. Hopefully, we'll soon have a
> better source for that particular piece of data. The National Domestic Ferret
> Census will hopefully give us a better picture of the number of magnificent
> there are in the US.

   I also thought ferrets were the third most common companion animal in North
America. I've seen statements to this effect on rec.pets, as well as in issues
225 and 226 of the Ferret-List, though this is by animal population, not owner
population. The fact that many ferret owners have more than one ferret probably
influences this number. Anyway, the sources I've seen unfortunately do not give
exact numbers to back the statement up, though I seem to recall seeing a break-
down of dog/cat/ferret population somewhere. Anyone have exact numbers on this?
Also, if ferrets *are* #7, what are #s 3-6? Although hamsters, gerbils, etc may
be more commonly thought of as pets than ferrets, I personally don't know any-
one who owns them. Anyone have numbers on them as well? As for fish, I'm not
sure they really count. Many people keep lots of fish, but how many name each
one? I think fish are more often kept as decoration than as 'companion animals'
(no offense intended to anyone who *does* care about their fish). I guess it
depends how you define your terms. My dad keeps pigeons, but they're not what
I'd call pets. He doesn't name them, or really care much about them on an
individual basis, and he occasionally sells a few to someone who regards them
as 'health food' (something none of us would think of doing with our fuzzies).

John, Buddy, and Cassidy