Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2001 12:45:55 EST
While scrolling down the e-bay list for ferret, I came upon this awful
listing, complete with preview picture, so there was no ignoring it.  It
was a listing for two ferret-weasel-mink collars.  They had eyes and feet
for god's sake.  These animals were solid brown.  Honestly, I just cannot
fathom why anyone would want to hang an animal carcass around there neck
and call it fashion!  Here's the info and our e-mail ehange:

Question from:           jerseyferret
Title of item:           2 Ferret Weasel Fur Furs Collar Mink Type Old
Seller:                  scarecrow2
Starts:                  Dec-26-01 19:29:55 PST
Ends:                    Dec-31-01 19:29:55 PST
Price:                   Starts at $7.95
To view the item, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1054489687

The following is what I e-mailed this woman:

>Hi,
>I just wanted to point out to you that e-bay has an extensive shopping
>category under ferret.  They are wonderful pets and we shop for hammocks,
>toys, etc.  Because you have "ferret" listed in your title and text, your
>item is showing up on our pet list.  I saw the pictures, and these animals
>are NOT ferrets.  The coloring is not consistent with ferret patterns.
>These are most likely wild weasels or minks.  Could you please remove the
>word "ferret" from this item, so it no longer appears on our lists?  It is
>a little upsetting to see a dead animal complete with eyes and claws used
>for personal adornment, that is a cousin to our own pets.
>
>I hope you don't think I'm giving you a hard time.  I'm really not.  In
>fact, I've never done this before.  Maybe you are an animal lover, maybe
>not.  I have no idea.  But for those of us who are, and in particular,
>ferret lovers, it is a little upsetting to see this on our list.
>
>I just wanted to let you know.
>Sincerely yours,
>Dee

Her response: I have eliminated her e-mail address to respect her right to
privacy.  If you want to add your two cents, go to the e-bay site listed
above and e-mail her from there.

>Dear Dee,
>I am not trying to offend anyone, but as a Seller, I have to use as many
>descriptive words in the title as I can to attract bidders.  I look for
>flamingo items and get flamingo pink colored glass, so I just skip over
>it or exclude that word from my search.  Since this is my livelihood, I
>must attract all the bidding I can.
>
>Sorry to offend you, or cause any problem, but this is what most people
>think of as a ferret or weasel type animal, and closely synonymous, and it
>is how ebay uses the search feature.
>Sincerely, Edna

My reply to her:

>Hi Edna,
>
>I appreciate your feelings on the subject, however, if you simply remove
>one little word, "ferret", and leave weasel and mink, it will no longer
>appear on the ferret enthusiasts' page.  As I mentioned, these pelts are
>NOT ferrets.  Ferrets have been domesticated as pets for hundreds of
>years.  They have never been used for fur coats or collars.  The word
>simply does not belong in the description of this item.  Do you really
>think you're going to attract any buyers from the ferret pages?  No way!
>They are cherished pets!  Weasel and mink is sufficient enough to attract
>the buyers you are after.
>
>If you are unwilling to remove the word, could you at least remove the
>preview picture, so that we don't have to look at the pelts everytime we
>scroll down the list?
>
>Imagine having to look at a taxidermied cat or dog everytime you go to
>e-bay to shop under that category.  It is no different.

>I really don't think I'm making an unreasonable request.  If I am the
>first person that you have heard from regarding this, I certainly won't
>be the last.  I can guarantee that.  There are thousands of ferret
>enthusiasts on the internet, many of which are far more passionate and
>less mannerly than I.  Wouldn't it be easier to rectify the situation now,
>then have your e-mail clogged up with mail from other e-bay users.
>
>Please?
>
>Dee

I think I handled this as politely and diplomatically as I could.  There
is a huge difference between flamingo-colored glass and a weasel carcass
hitting you in the face...hmmm, even though the glass would hurt a lot
more I'm sure!  <LOL>

Her final response:

>Dear Dee,
>I am really sorry, but I am trying to make a living, it will be off
>tomorrow anyway, and when you pay my listing fees for ebay, you can edit
>what I write.
>
>Edna

Can you believe that?!  It doesn't sound like she even cares.  How hard is
it to remove a single word for Pete's sake!  Alright, FMLers!  Bombs away!
Let her know how you all feel about the wording of her item.  Maybe it
can't be changed this time, but maybe she will think twice next time.  I'm
not one to normally stir up trouble and I think I gave this woman a chance
to remedy the situation without hassling her too much.  Now, it's time for
a wake-up call.  We don't want this stuff on our e-bay pages, do we?

Dee