From:
Amy Seyler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 May 1996 13:46:29 -0400
>From:    "Cindy C. Sooy" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: 2 questions for the vets
//snip//
>Secondly, all the ferrets I've known or heard of that had cardiomyopathy
>were all males.  My vet said that cardiomyopathy is predominantly a male
>disorder.  How common is it in females?  Can a female be a "carrier"?  Would
>she carry a recessive gene for cardiomyopathy that would make it possible
>for her male offspring to develop the disease if dad also has the gene?

I have a 5 1/2 y.o.  sprite with cardio right now, so even if it's
predominantly male, I know of females who get it.  Also, I believe Pam Grant
had an old female (9 y.o.) who had it who has since passed away (due to
complications from insulinoma).

Obviously, as far as genetics goes, Claudia's genes won't be going anywhere,
and never have, since she's MF.  And also, as far as genetics, I can't
answer anything else because I haven't a clue!

But yes, females do get cardio.

Amy & Dave (and their gaggle of giggling ferrets)
RIP Ian and Elektra