From:
Anthony Lucas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 1997 14:43:12 +1100
hello again from down under,

We vets have a few little problems that we could use some advice on.  Over
the summer we have had 2 particularly bothersome cases of alopecia.

Cases 1: This is a 9mth old female (unvaccinated) which had come into her
first oestrus and remained untreated for at least six weeks.  At examination
she seemed somewhat depressed and lethargic but her PCV was 40 and this was
considered normal.  She was otherwise considered to be a normal ferret.  She
was neutered and re examined at the time of suture removal, 10 days later.
At this time her vulva had returned to almost normal size, she seemed normal
at this time and it was decided that she could be vaccinated.  She returned
4 weeks later for a booster ( our vaccine supplier recommends 4 weekly
intervals)at this time she had developed severe bilateral alopecia of the
back, head and feet.  The owner reported that the ferret was extremely
puritic.  There was no evidence of ectoparasites.  Her vulva was normal size
and other physiologic parameters were normal.

My questions are... this doesn't seem a typical presentation of adrenal
disease, could this be a result of prolonged oestrus?  If not what would you
recommend I investigate in addition to adrenal disease?  I have elected no
treatment/ work up at this point until I have some more advice.

Case 2: This is a 12mth old male, neutered about 8 weeks ago.  At this time
a mass was removed from the caudal - dorsal abdomen cavity.  I received a
mass about 1cm in diameter in formalin, the mass was light brown in colour,
firm and spherical.  Upon histologic examination the mass consisted of
adipocytes, of which occasional cells were necrotic and this was infiltrated
by large numbers of macrophages, moderate numbers of plasma cells and a few
lymphocytes and neutrophils, in particular there was no evidence of
neoplasia.  This ferret has now developed bilateral alopecia of the back
only.

My questions are... again this doesn't sound like the typical presentation
of adrenal disease ( ie these are both very young ferrets) but I was
intending to work up this case for adrenal disease.  I would appreciate any
suggestions on what else this could be.

It may useful for the USA vets to note that in Australia adrenal disease has
only ever been diagnosed on one occasion by Lewington.No other vets have
reported this disease.

Anthony and Julia Lucas