From:
Kit West <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Feb 1996 00:21:34 -0500
I would have to give a resounding "YES" to that question.  Amber and Bear
will always look in our directions when we mention their names.  Lazer did
the same.  They also know which nicknames are used when they're being
naughty.

As for coming when called, that's up to them.  Usually, there has to be
something in it for them (raisins, other treats, etc.).  They have learned to
ignore the parrot just like the dog guide did.  Merlin (the African Grey) has
the habit of calling the dog -- and now the ferrets.  He's a teaser.  The
woozles ignore him now.

When we rescued Bear, we didn't know his name.  He was roughly four years
old.  A BEW, he looked like a stretched out polar bear, and thus his name.  I
would estimate that it took him about three weeks to adapt to his new name.
 He also gets a case of the cutes when I call him "My Son My Son."  Amber
catches the cutes when I call her "Ammy-wee", so yes, I would have to say
that they DO know their names.