From:
JOE HORRIGAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 1996 00:38:56 +0000
Hi all...

I have noticed several postings on trimming Ferret claws, not an activity
for the faint of heart!  (my daughter calls it Climming their Traws).  The
problem I have seen in several responses in using a treat like Feretone or
Vitasol applied to the tummy, is that it causes the Fert to lick their fur
furiously.  This can cause a Fert to injest large quanties of fur, which may
become a digestive problem.  Most Ferts don't spend a lot of time grooming
and don't usually ingest much fur, and if they do, its Petromalt time.

I have found that Peanut Butter is very effective way to keep them
distracted.  They love the oil (and suger unfortunately), found in PB brands
like Jiff (They turn their noses up at the supermarket house brands).  The
advantage of PB is that they love it, it's gooey, they can't bite it, and a
VERY small quantity is enough to do all the claws, most Ferts wil continue
to lick the oil off your skin, after the PB is gone, so the quantity they
eat is really small.

If you have a partner, all the better, have them put a small dab on a
finger, hold the Fert on it's back (Like an infant) and clip away!  You can
do it youself by putting the PB on the back of your own hand or arm (The one
that holds the Fert) but its harder to do, unless your into juggling.  You
can also lay the Fert on the bed on it's back and put the PB on your Chin!
This gives you both hands free, and can be fun.

The hardest part of cutting the nails, is keeping the foot still.  Never
attempt to trim the nails if the Fert has just awoken and is shaking.
Having a firm grip with your finger tips over the blood vein will assure
that you don't over trim the nail.

As with all animals you must not cut the blood vein (the little vein in base
portion of the nail), it is very painful for the Fert if you do, and it will
bleed profusely.  If you do cut it, just use a peice of tissue or soft paper
towel on the foot, hold the Fert's foot higher than his heart until the nail
stops bleeding, usually less than five minutes.

Happy Climming !
Joe

 Dook Dook Dook Dook
        :) :) :) :) Filup, Cocoa, Sam and Jose