Date:
Sun, 24 Jul 2005 10:31:07 -0700
Risa, I have had several ferrets with whom I have used water therapy.
It started with Oscar, my *floppy* guy.  At first I would hold his front
half and pull him through the water so he could kick his back legs.
Then I began letting him do more himself.  Oscar always had constant
supervision as he could fall over and not right himself.  However, he
was very good about learning to support himself and swimming on his own.
Hope these hints help:

1. Temperature.  The ferret's body temperature is just above 100 degrees
Farhenhait.  Yours is about 98 degrees.  So, make the water so it feels
slightly warm to you, as 98 would feel neither warm nor cool.  Oh, some
may prefer it a little warmer.  I got a floating tube thermometer to put
in the bath.

2. Introduction.  I let my ferret drape over my arm with his head to my
elbow.  Then I can put the arm in the water, using my other hand to run
water over the back legs.  I only put a little water in the tub the first
time.  Some ferrets jump right in and others try to climb my arm.  Little
by little, I work the ferret into the water, always supporting his front
half.

3. Over time I will place toys or ramps in the tub so he can support
himself with out me.  I also make the water deeper, so he can exercise
his own legs.

Good luck.
renee :)

Ferret Aid 2006