From:
Melissa H <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 2000 06:44:20 GMT
It's been awhile since I got my Biscuit from KiSta Ferret Rescue.  October
18, to be exact....and since then it's been nothing but fun, cuddles,
kisses, and hard work.  I wasn't sure I could handle it at first, the
responsibility of taking care of a special needs ferret was daunting.
With the help of Kim and Stan, and this list, and my vet, I've been able
to cope rather well.

Every day, twice a day, we do physical therapy, ROM exercises, and
stretches.  Every day, four or six times a day, I express her bladder,
since she can't do it alone.  Every day, twice a day, she gets her
cranberry liquid, hidden in Ferretvite or Ferretone, to prevent
kidney/bladder infections.  Every day, sometimes twice a day, I take out
the blankies in the cage and replace them with clean ones, since Biscuit is
incontinent.  Every day, I wipe down the shelves where Biscuit has pooped
and dragged through it, then wipe Biscuit off with a Baby Wipe, to keep her
clean.

Everyday, when I take Biscuit out of her cage, I get the best ferret hugs
and kisses....she patiently puts up with my squeezes, and the indignity
of peeing in front of EVERYONE!  (Geeze Momma!  Can't a girl have any
privacy?)  She then crawls up my chest, settles half on my shoulder, half
on my neck, in the proper position to examine my face in detail, and nose
into my morning tea.  Being my "old lady" at the ripe old age of 1 year and
4 months (give or take, we're just guesstimating, since she was found on
the streets of Trenton, NJ)

When I release the weasels to play, I watch Biscuit run, drag, dook,
wardance, and play with the rest of them.  She's actually the fastest
ferret I have when I catch them being bad (like digging the carpet.)  She
can cover the 4 feet from my closet to the haven under my bed in about one
second flat....and I have no clue how on Earth she manages that!  More and
more lately, she's been walking normally on her hind legs, she's a bit
clumsy and slow, and does fall over and drag when she's tired or lazy, or
wants Momma to pick her up.  Tonight she was up for the whole hour I was
with them, walking around, and I now have had to bob Shiloh's tail (Biscuit
and Shiloh look nearly identical, and now that Biscuit is walking around,
we have no quick and easy way to tell the difference.  I can tell, but my
husband is mixing them up, and it offends them!)

I want to thank everyone on the list for helping me out, when I posted
asking for ideas on physical therapy...for emailing me your stories and
encouragement, and mailing me magazine articles.

Kim, you don't know how lucky I am to have Biscuit, and I know how much you
must miss her, since she's such an angel!  I want to thank you again for
letting her share my life.

Thanks for putting up with my rambling.

Melissa