From:
Lori Barber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 18:34:33 -0400
Todd,

You didn't mention how long you've had Mysti, just that her fur has been
thin since you got her.  My Azrael showed adrenal symptoms (one bald patch
on the side of the mouth and then an overall thin coat which is when we
went for surgery) for 6 months before his first surgery in which his
adrenals looked fine (pancreatic tumors and hairballs, though!).  His
second surgery was another six months later when the tumor finally showed.

I know that Dr. Weiss also looks at the condition of the skin to diagnose
adrenal disease.  I think it's probably time for you to go to a vet who has
seen a lot of adrenal disease.  Some might tell you that if her vulva isn't
swollen it's not adrenal, but not all ferrets show the same symptoms.
Azrael's skin became flaky and itchy.  Watch out for red sores on the
haunches, etc.  His skin and nails also turned yellowish.

Decrease in energy is also a symptom.  I think a lot of people blame age on
loss of energy, especially if they've never had a healthy older ferret to
know what they're supposed to be like a 4, 5, 6, etc.  I thought Azrael
was just getting old when he mostly wanted to be held and just wrestle a
little bit at 4.  Now that I have Wrestle-mania George at 4ish, I know
what a healthy 4-year-old ferret should act like.  I didn't know before.

Best of Luck.

Lori Barber
E-mail: [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]