From:
International Ferret Congress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:08:55 -0700
Ardith, and everyone else who has attended an IFC event - or wants to! -
let us preface this with an assurance that the IFC is still alive and
kicking! Currently, the IFC is undergoing some structural changes.
When Linda Iroff, Judy Cook and Julie Fossa first formed the IFC, the
responsibilities all fell on their shoulders. Through the years the IFC
has grown, and the activities have become larger. The original charter
placed a disproportionate burden onto just a few people. With the
resignation of three board members in the past year, the opportunity
to re-define roles and responsibilities and to make a stronger more
sustainable group has arisen. The IFC will be announcing these changes
and provide more specific information in the near future.

>Fran Prager's resignation from the IFC started me thinking about
>the Emergency Love Fund that was started by another former IFC
>board member, Judy Cook.

The IFC website states:
The Emergency Love Fund was created to fill gaps in relief efforts for
ferret shelters. This fund is now referred to as the ELF.

The purpose of the fund is to provide relief in case of natural or
man-made disasters, such as, but is not limited to: fire, flood,
earthquake, hurricane, tornado, and other situations the directors
deem appropriate. The IFC will work closely with the Ferret Emergency
Response, Rescue and Evacuation Team (FERRET) in providing assistance
to those needing it the most.

>Is the ELF still active? Any funds in the account?

Yes, the ELF is still active. In the past we have accepted funds on
behalf of other groups - particularly those who did not have non-profit
status - so a tax-exempt receipt would be available. The funds were
then dispersed to the appropriate parties. Some examples include
victims of Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the Doug McKay rescue in 2007 and
the Rainbow ferrets in 2008. There have been smaller events that have
occurred and the money has been used to pay for vet care and supplies
for individuals. F.E.R.R.E.T. used the ELF to provide funds to
individuals through the disaster relief. At this time F.E.R.R.E.T. is
in the process of becoming a 501(c)(3) and will be able to accept
donations for disasters directly. Funds are also given to SOS to help
provide items for shelters. Additionally, the IFC provides emergency
grants to shelters that need help. These are made by application to
the IFC. Yes, there are funds in the account.

>I went to the IFC/ELF website, but it doesn't tell me much other than
>how to donate. However, the person to send funds to is no longer a
>IFC board member either.

Any correspondence sent to Linda Iroff, who is listed on the website,
will be forwarded to the treasurer, Ann Hehl. Donations can be made to
the ELF by sending them to: Ann Hehl, Treasurer, IFC. The new address
will be listed on the website.

>The last update was Dec. 2006

Good point, thanks for the reminder... we'll make a note to update it
soon. We apologize for any confusion. It should be up-to-date soon.

>I planned to offer a Christmas theme quilt for the SOS Christmas
>raffle this year, with those proceeds going to the ELF.

Thank you, Ardith. It is the generosity of the ferret community that
has made it possible for the ELF to help so many.

>Also, is there a way to know how much has been donated, and how much
>has been sent to those that qualified for these funds.

This information will be included on the updated site. As the records
have been recently turned over to a new treasurer, it may take a while
to get the information up on the website, but it will be done in a
timely manner.

>I'm really curious because I was in on this from the ground up and
>feel a special connection.
>
>Hopefully the info will be posted on this list so others might be
>encouraged to support the ELF if it is going to continue.

The ELF was one of many wonderful ideas and has helped numerous
people and ferrets. Many people feel a special connection. This is an
effort that is very near and dear to our hearts, too, Ardith. As we
re-structure, it is hoped that the ELF will be more visible and fill
the void it was intended to fill.

We hope these answers are complete and satisfactory to you. If you or
anyone else has additional questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to ask them. The IFC will do our best to answer them.

Respectfully submitted,
The IFC
Julie Fossa, Bill Gruber, Ann Hehl, Marsha Crowell,
Renee Downs, Helen McLean