From:
Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 04:04:17 +1000
>From:    Lori Sies <[log in to unmask]>

First of all - I don't understand your post.  People are saying that
Tristate Ferret Extravaganza doesn't require testing.  Then you say you
have put the bit in about the AFA's new policy.  So are you requiring it
or not?

>Tristate Ferret Extravaganza takes all diseases/viruses seriously.

Obviously not as seriously as they should.

>Little is known about how ADV is spread.

No.  There is quite a bit known now.  Not completely, but enough to know
that ADV testing should be required for shows.

>ADV was first published in an AFA newsletter back in 1989.

But it was known about before then.  And obviously the virus has mutated
or changed somehow.  Ask United.  I bet they have noticed an increase in
positives.  According to my vet, they used to test for ADV regularly (way
back) and stopped because they felt it was a waste of money.  Ferrets
simply weren't testing positive.  But now they are.

>If it is a highly contagious there should have been a major outbreak in
>the show circuit before now.

How do you know there hasn't been?  People didn't really test before now.
And what happens if a new strain was introduced or the virus mutated?

>This can be used as a prevention if those who have ferrets tested
>positive can facilitate the ferrets in a quarantined environment away
>from other ferrets and they do not attend shows or go to a pet stores or
>friends houses where ferrets are present.  We believe in education and
>precautions taken that is why we are having the symposium.

WHAT???  If you feel that way then why not require testing?  Some people
didn't even know they had positives until they tested for shows!!

>Some Shows have taken the stance to required testing for ADV of ALL
>ferrets being shown at the show within a designated time period before
>entry in the show hall.

Proof of testing is done in other species - a Coggins Test for horse shows
(and public transport) comes to mind straight away - so why not ferrets?

>Hope to see you and your ferrets at the show.

You saw White Russian attended your show in 1998.  He was handled by MANY
people.  He now has ADV and is clinical.

Enough said.  That should be warning enough.

Amy Flemming