From:
Publicity Chair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 2008 13:55:39 -0700
"Dr. Mayer, thank you for taking care of my gold fish." "My guinea pig
is better now." "Thank you for helping my bird." "We know that our cat
received the best care possible. Thank you for the help you provided."
"Thank you for making my rat well."  Note after note, picture after
picture. The bulletin board in the exotics examination room is full of
them! And, filling most of the wall, it is no small board! A poster of
a ferret skeleton and internal organs looks down from above. A computer
sits handy for searching the internet or accessing information stored
thereon. A telephone, allowing the vet to make calls from the room sits
next to it.

My first introduction to Joerg Mayer, veterinarian at Tufts Exotic
Animal Service was an emergency. Having dropped a ferret off the night
before, I received a phone call that I needed to come right away --
and I was two hours from the clinic. Upon arrival, I was greeted by a
soft-spoken man who told me all the news I didn't want to hear. He
was kind and compassionate. That was not the last trip I made to the
hospital, as I had many ferrets and Dr. Mayer was the ferret vet to
whom I was referred time and again. We made many trips to North
Grafton, MA. And each visit I made was greeted by an entourage of
interns and students doing a rotation on the exotics service.

Every ferret was examined by numerous students and interns, all of the
vitals were taken and recorded and I knew that all things were being
considered and that my ferrets were playing a role in the health care
of future ferrets. When Dr. Mayer entered the room, the information
regarding the ferret's history and all the vitals were reported. And,
Dr. Mayer would ask me questions. He was quick and thorough, but then
sat down with me and shared the information I needed. While the ferret
was out of the room, I had time to read all those thank you notes on
the wall.

A well-published author and oft-sought lecturer, Dr. Mayer is a
Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Clinical Science.
He came to the United States to practice veterinary medicine as the
Director of the Exotic Service in the Cummings School of Veterinary
Medicine at Tufts University after obtaining his M.S. degree in Wild
Animal Health from the Royal Veterinary College in London, England in
2000. Prior to that, Dr. Mayer obtained his DMV at the Veterinary
University of Budapest, Hungary in 1997, he completed an internship in
zoological medicine at the Roger Williams Park Zoo in Providence, RI.
At the end of the internship,serving as the veterinary member of an
American research team, Dr. Mayer traveled to the cloud forest of
Papua, New Guinea to study wild and captive tree kangaroos.

Although he is an exotics vet, Dr, Mayer says he did not plan to make
ferrets such a prominent part of his life. Instead, just as they did
with most of us, he found that "ferrets just weaseled into my life."
Although both his parents and brother live in Germany, Dr. Mayer is a
relative newlywed. His presentation schedule and service as treasurer
of the American Exotic Mammals Veterinarians (AEMV) keep him on the
road frequently, however. At home the Mayers have two bunnies, but no
ferrets.

For fun, Dr. Mayer practices Aikido, a Japanese martial art. Or, you
may catch him riding his motorcycle or listening to modern German
music. He also enjoys history books and movies. When home, he relaxes
by watching television. However, regardless of his location, Dr.
Mayer's pager is never far away. And, I also learned that he is
available to help over the phone and via email, saving me many miles.

Ghandi is Dr. Mayer's hero, but given 24 hours to spend with anyone,
living or dead, Dr. Mayer would choose Jesus. If you want to know more
about either choice, you will have to corner him at the Symposium.
Catch him early, though, as Dr. Mayer has to leave before the Saturday
dinner for another engagement.

Dr. Mayer said he would like to be remembered, "As a friend." He has
been a friend to many, helping numerous ferrets he has never seen with
his chemotherapy protocols. To learn more about them, join us at the
Pittsburgh Symposium when Dr. Mayer presents on FRIDAY, Nov. 7.

For additional information, see Dr. Mayer's webpage at
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/facpages/mayer_j.html
To use this vet:
Dr. Joerg Mayer
Tufts University
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
200 Westboro Road
North Grafton, MA 01536
(508) 887-4745

Join us in Pittsburgh
November 7-9, 2008

International Ferret Congress (http://www.ferretcongress.org)
Ferret Emergency Response, Rescue and Evacuation Team (F.E.R.R.E.T.)
(http://www.ferretemergency.org)