Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 13:39:52 -0500
Hello everyone.  I am thrilled to post the news that all 12 of my ferrets
have tested negative for ADV.  I am so very relieved that I'm at the point
of tears.  Since I'm at work, and don't want to try explaining the whole
situation, I'm being good and holding it in.  The great folks at United
(They really are sweet people; always pleasant on the phone and willing to
run back into the lab to grab your results when you call too early!) should
be faxing the results over to me and then, I believe, mailing me official
copies.  There will be a Ferretone party at my house tonight!

vet care emergencies are always difficult.  As I've posted before, I had
one ferret run up a bill for $1200.  I never did actually add up all the
invoices for the one ferret we lost, Cascia.  It was probably close or more
than that.  Ouch.  At least I had a couple of years in between.  Anyway,
back to the point of the matter.  After Mercury's mystery illness and
surgery, I decided to do something to keep the pain of vet care down.  I
went to my bank and set up a savings account, linked to my checking
account, and set up an automatic transfer from checking to savings.  Every
week, $20 is taken from my checking account and put into savings.  The
savings account is earmarked for vet care for the ferrets and cats.  In
the next week or so, I'll be going to the bank and changing the transfer
schedule to twice a month to match my paychecks.  I'll also probably
increase the amount pulled.  I don't know your situation, but doing
something similar may help.  You, of course, need to look over your
finances to see what you can afford to stash away.  Good luck in whatever
path you chose.

Also, in response to Lisette who wants to make a 'necklace', it sounds to
me like you want to make a ferret medicine bag.  I've got a medicine bag
with mementos of my pets and loved ones that I put together.  What goes
into the bag is a very personal choice, but you sound like you know what
you want.  The bags aren't all that hard to find, tho I haven't been
looking lately myself.  I've bought a couple of them over the years.  The
Nature Company stores used to carry them, usually with fringe at the
bottom.  (The Nature Company is now also The Discovery Store.  Same people,
mostly the same products.) Another store is Natural Wonders, tho I don't
know if they're a chain store or not.  Lots of 'new age' shops and booths
at malls and fairs tend to carry them.  The one I use now I actually got at
a medieval fair from a leather worker.  The bag is well made of soft
leather and has a rose embossed on it's flap.  (I am a rose enthusiast
too!) Good luck finding something that suits your needs and fancy.

May I just add briefly that I was pleased to see the numerous thoughtful,
well written posts in today's (Feb 16) list.  I truly enjoyed reading them.
Their writers did a marvelous job of stating their thoughts and beliefs in
clear, coherent language.  Citing sources is also greatly appreciated and
needs to be done alot more often.  Please keep up the great work, people!

Be well, everyone!

Anastasia Kidd
home email: [log in to unmask]