Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 09:50:29 +1000
>I'm trying to picture just how exactly "live prey" is given to ferrets
>who are used to eating it - do you just put the prey in their cage and
>the ferret goes after it?

hi Jennifer,

Most owners who feed whole prey don't feed live.  Whole prey is usually
purchased pre-killed and frozen into packs :)  It can even be shipped to
your door.

Check out these sites for some great ferret foods, or check your local
area for breeders.

www.rodentpro.com, www.miceonice.com, www.gourmetrodent.com

>I doubt I'm going to ever be able to 'convert' my Snowball from kibble to
>live prey (or anything else but kibble at this late stage in his life)
>but I'm still interested in knowing just how one goes about the feeding
>process nonetheless.

Yes you can!  I've switched 7 and 8 year olds, sometimes they are easier
than young ferrets!  :)

Older ferrets have as much to gain as young ferrets in being fed a diet
which cleans their mouth at every meal.

Damage already done to the mouth of an older kibble-fed ferret can be
treated (compromised teeth removed if necessary) and a diet of prey
and/or meaty bones from then on will promote good oral health.

If left untreated, periodontal disease eventually destroys teeth, gum and
supporting bone and introduces bacteria directly into the blood stream,
affecting the entire body.

Preventing this mouth infection is critical to overall health.

>I guess I'm mostly concerned about the live prey attacking or biting a
>docile ferret (such as an older ferret) who may not have the 'natual
>hunting instincts' in him/her.  My Snowball is about 7 1/4 yrs. old and
>very passive so I just can't imagine him getting excited about this.
>In fact, I think it would scare him to an early death quite honestly.

This is one of the reasons I don't feed live - I couldn't guarantee the
mouse wouldn't suffer, and I don't like any living thing to suffer.

Those who do feed live, feel it is enrichment for the ferret, but they
also know their ferrets kill quickly.

Carnivores eat other animals to survive, whether in whole form or ground
up, mixed with other stuff and shaped into colorful pellets.  Morally I
think animals which haven't suffered are a better choice - I wonder
whether the animals who go into kibble would count themselves in this
group?

shona

[BIG's note: I love the names of those websites.  Brings up a mental
image of mice rollerskating by while a cat and a ferret look on, then
then look at each other exclaiming: "Meals on Wheels?"   (Joke stolen
from someplace a long time ago... I don't remember from where.)  BIG]