From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Oct 1996 17:55:30 -0400
Hi all

Still busy down here, more "newbies" into the rescue, since last time we
have done another neuter!  Everyone seems to be ok, but we seem to be on an
older ferret kick - all the latest into the rescue have been 4yo or older.

In regards to the coughing ferret - have the ferret checked for
cardiomyopathy - often times fluid begins to build in the lungs when the
heart can't keep up.  Lasix and enacard<sp>is a good treatment for this.
Unfortunately, no cure for this that I know of.  Buster, one of our
unadoptables, has had this since September and is responding well to
treatment.  We are keeping our fingers crossed for Ol' Buster bear!

Adrenals - can only comment on my own experience and that of the rescue - I
have seen many more MF ferrets with adrenals than any others, the earliest
for surgery was at 2.5, the oldest at 9.  And before anyone jumps in, yes,
the majority of ferrets that I get in are MF.  But I have seen Hagen & Path
Valley ferrets over 4 years of age as well ( about 10 so far from Hagen, and
estimated 12- 15 from PV) and none of them had any history of surgery and to
date have not had adrenal surgery.  Everyone will make their own
conclusions, I can only tell ya what I see.

Insulinoma - I have had a lot of experience with insulinoma and the best I
can describe the symptoms are as if the ferret was drunk, sometimes a
distant stare(the ferret is generally stretched out and still when this
happens) and drooling.  I treat this hypoglaecemic shock with Karo Syrup and
Pedialyte and rush the ferret to the vet for stabizing.  The Karo/Pedialyte
are only temporary solutions to the problem; they will need medication from
then on to keep their blood sugar within reasonable levels.  The worst I
have seen is a BS level of 24; the ferret was unresponsive and drooling;she
recovered well.  The only treatment that I know of in lieu of surgery is
prednisolone and proglycem.  The proglycem is very expensive (a 30 day
supply is about $50.00) and helps some, but not all, so I can half-heartedly
recommend it.  The pred seems to be the most effective in maintaining a
somewhat normal BS level.  The longest I have had a ferret live with
insulinoma was 2 1/2 years, and he had surgery once to remove some of the
nodes from his pancreas.

California - I need help from all CA ferret people - I have a family that is
being transferred to San Diego, CA and would like to keep their ferret with
them.  They will be driving to San Diego, so I need some help - what are
Ferret-friendly routes in to CA and tips on bringing them into CA, some vet
names in the San Diego, and any other information that will be helpful to
them.  Please do not post this info to the FML (in case there are F&G spies
around), and you are welcome to call me to verify who I am.  My phone number
is: 757-481-3954.  There is a sweet little boy who is now telling his father
that he will not move there without his ferret, so please help!!

Thanks!

Lisa