From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 31 May 2003 13:48:35 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?gid=1423922
&messageid=4760&startid=4765

>Well, its been a month and a half since we were there and there has been
>little change.  Snowball's thinning areas are a little more visible, but
>not much.  He isn't bald anywhere by any means, but his coat is thinner
>in fairly large symmetrical areas one the rear part of his back and you
>can see his pink skin showing through.  Has anyone had any similar
>experience?

This screams adrenal disease to me.

>I know that poor nutrition can cause coat changes, but I think we feed
>him a good diet (Zupreem, some Iams kitten as treat food).  He hasn't
>shown any other signs of adrenal at all - never overly aggressive, no
>mating behaviors, not itching more than usual - Is there any other cause
>of thinning hair that I am missing?  Should I get him tested for adrenal
>just in case?

I have seen ferrets with severe adrenal disease with no overt symptoms
at all.  One of my own recently presented with a prostatic abscess caused
by a right adrenal mass, but he had no signs of adrenal disease at all
until he started having difficulty urinating.  So having only one sign
does not rule out adrenal disease at all.  You could have bloodwork or an
ultrasound done.  The adrenal mass may be palpable by an experienced vet,
or may not - I could not feel my boy's mass at all, but can often feel a
left sided mass.  I would consider a second opinion here to be a valid
way to go.

>Also, we have a vet who is ferret knowledgeable to an extent, but I
>don't think he sees all that many ferrets and I think we could find
>someone with more knowledge and experience with little fuzzbutts.  Does
>anyone know a good vet in the Pittsburgh, PA area?  I checked the vet
>database and only found three, and none with much info.  Thanks everyone!

LOL!  Well, I'm in Murrysville, about twenty minutes (east) from
Pittsburgh.  There are quite a few ferret-knowledgeable vets in the area,
actually, so if my office isn't convenient to your location we can refer
you to someone closer.  Ruth Heller, DVM, Borderbrook Animal Hospital,
724-327-2200.

Dr. Ruth
Find it. Fix it. And fly again.