From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 13:23:23 -0500
To Jill concerning fleas:

        One of the main reasons that your extermination program is not working
is that it is most likely not thorough enough.  You have to use adequate aounts
of sprays or foggers, wash all of the bedding, pick up everything off of the
floor (including dirty clothes) that a flea can take shelter in, wash all of the
animals, etc.  And then you have to prevent the dogs and cats from bringing in a
new load of fleas after you have treated the house.

        Getting rid of the animals for a term will not eradicate fleas, and you
will probably see more bites on people if that happens.  You need to set up a
regular program of bathing (the animals, I mean), and fogging.  Even then, with
as many people in and out of that house, I can foresee a lot of difficulty in
completely eradicating the fleas.

        I think that you should stress that your animals aren't going outside to
bring in a new crop of fleas, and should wash them on a frequent basis (in full
view of your co-inhabitants) to show that you are doing your part.  Maybe the
rest of them will take the hint....

Good luck..

Bruce Williams, DVM