From:
Lynn McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 23:19:24 +0000
>From:    "A. Abate/C. Kinsey" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Barb, Vickie and Lynn
>You mentioned your ferret has had one adrenal gland removed and now is
>demonstrating the same "mounting" behavior again.  A second adrenal gland
>problem needs to be considered, but since we have not found that a ferret
>can survive without at least one gland, our course of action has been to
>put the ferret on prednisone for life.

I recently talked with a well known Virginia vet who says he's now done
more than 2,000 adrenal surgeries... he said when a right adrenal needs
to go he takes as much as he can without causing bleeding and possibly
necessitating vena cava ligation.  That never or rarely is the entire right
adrenal taken because of its proximity to the vena cava, which he doesn't
advise purposely ligating.  Also, he's found, in the case of a
bi-adrenalectomized fuzzy, that enough adrenal tissue remains for the fuzzy
to function and that prednisone may only be needed for a few weeks.  I
believe him, based on his reputation and experience.  The latest I've heard
from Dr. Weiss is that he uses medical therapy after a bi-adrenalectomy
only when symptoms are present.

>We use about 5mg a day to suppress tumor growth.  There may be hair
>thinning or lack of regrowth from the first surgery, but it should help
>the mounting behavior and extend the ferret's life.  If you elect to do a
>second surgery, the second gland should not be removed in its entirety,
>but can be "debulked", or reduced in size.  You may still have to
>supplement with prednisone, since the gland is not likely to be fully
>functional particularly in its reduced form.

I haven't talked to a vet who recommends prednisone as therapy for adrenal
disease, except where tumors have spread to other organs and
surgery/Lysodren aren't options.  Have others?  It isn't the mounting
behavior that is the main medical worry, but the prostate problems that can
cause a blocked urinary tract and ultimately lead to death (in females the
danger is a swollen vulva leading to anemia).  When these symptoms are
caused by adrenal disease, the disease must be arrested to solve the
problem.  I only know of two options for adrenal disease (not counting or
discounting naturopathic remedies where effects haven't been studied):
surgery or Lysodren (mitotane, a chemo drug that kills off adrenal tissue).
Lupron has shown some promise, and our three male adrenal guys are getting
that as adjunct therapy.

Lynn McIntosh

P.S. I moderate a small list (a little under 300 subscribers) that offers
support and an exchange of info among fuzzy caretakers.  It's called the
Ferret Adrenal/Insulinoma Mailing List (FAIML).  Anyone interested can write
to me at the above address.  All I ask is your first and last name... :)