From:
"Capt. Nodrog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:08:08 -0500
I call my neighbor often who also has a ferret, Bert.  Bert was old, and
had many health problems. He was too old to operate on, and had been
several times.  WHen I called, the 4 year old girl answered the phone,
and as usual I asked her how the ferret was, she said he died at the
vet.  Last thursday Bert took a turn for the very worst and was taken to
the vet where the decision was to end the suffering with the kindness we
hate to use.

They are in grief of course, but I have suggested a local ferret rescue to
get another one.. or two.  They will consider that after this settles.

As to the Rainbow Bridge, I saw on PBS a show on bridges, and they had in
China a famous bridge called just that.  It was most unusual in design
where it was an arch but did not dissipate the weight as an arch does where
the length was supported by cantilevers.  Weight on an arch will tend to
flatten the arch, an attempt to stretch the length between the base mounts.
These cantilevers caused the bridge to behave as a truss where it was rigid
and the weight forces were vertical on the ends.  Engineers at MIT have
studied this engineering and are at a loss at how these ingenious people
made such a strong and lasting artifact 5000 years ago where just now we
are understanding the principals of how it works.  Now, I wonder how this
famous bridge has come to be associated, if at all, with how we use the
term Rainbow Bridge here?  Any clues?

Lastly, Lee came over with his fert, Diz, and we made a new cage for Diz.
Lee bought an entire roll of welded wire, 100 feet of it, 48 inches wide.
We made a rectangle base of wood, put casters on it, and then made the cage
sides and ends to fit the base frame (measured the wire to be sure the
corners ended on a vertical stringer of the wire...).  We had a bottom pan
from a rabbit cage, made the dimensions off of that but a local tin shop
could make one of any size.  This has 3 floors and lots of room.  Scrap
carpet is used to cover the wire floors and ramps, easy on the little
feets.  Water bottle and feeder are to be hung outside the cage on the
bottom floor to give more room, easy service to both the fert and the owned
one, and to help keep stufffff inside.  We made small shelves to sit these
things on, and they are secured in place with small bunji cords found in
most any camping section.  THe base is 3 feet by 20 inches giving about 14
square feet of romp room, not including hammocks, balconies or ramps.  If
you are in the Richmond area, Lee has plenty of extra wire for more cages,
and will be willing to sell enough to make other cages.  E-mail me if you
are interested.

Gordon, Byte-me and Nibble-ed