From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Sep 2005 00:23:14 -0400
Today on several lists there is an assertion appearing from someone
having had pers.  coms.  with another with claimed credentials which
differs markedly from what the public health veterinarians/
epidemiologists involved in the hurricane animal rescue have so far
been saying more publicly.

I am referring to the statement that rescued animals should be under vet
observation in a hospital for 10 days or more before they are released
to other shelters.  (BTW, from what I have heard there are vets involved
in the shelters which are processing these animals first.  Vets are in
the area with AVMA VMAT, UAN EARS, HSUS, ASPCA, and others.)

I am sure there will be companion animals who would be best off being
isolated, but I simply do not myself have the knowledge to be able to
state the LEVEL of risk and if it will be much different from what
shelters always face.

Shelters already know that many times when they take in animals that
risks may be present and I am sure they will discuss this with their
vets, and have a vet visit as the first order of business.

It also would not surprise that if the background of a given animal
was unknown that it might be in one of the temporary shelters under
observation before release.

Remember that not all of these animals are of unknown background and
some wound up in shelter situations because their families which
saved them had no option, instead of by being found.  Individual
situations vary.

At this point rather than engage in panic I would like to ask that
medical professionals, vets, public health vets, other epidemiologists,
those with emergency disaster rescues, and others who are informed,
please, instruct us all.

BTW, the copy of the original post is not as panicked as some of the
more sensational posts that are offshoots from it, but instead gives
good cleaning and home isolation advice, and uses the kinds of fudge
words which illustrate that person knows that she/he is putting in
some guesswork, as am I on this score -- and as is anyone on this
score who is not in a related field.

Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan and regular user