From:
ferret lover <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2000 19:16:06 -0700
Wanted to offer my advice on how to take a vacation while owning ferrets.
I think probably one of the easiest ways to do it is to take the ferrets
with you!  I know several people who do this.  Try renting a cabin near a
lake for a week or weekend-just make sure they allow pets!  A lot of places
do.  Most ferrets travel really easy and mine actually enjoy the ride!  If
you are concerned about distance-most states parks offer cabin rentals and
these can be close to home(and fairly inexpensive)so they aren't a pain to
get to, but far enough away that it still seems like a vacation!  Or if you
really need to get away from it all, I think the key is support from family
and friends.  I am truly lucky to have a great support system.  Most of
my trips are limited to 2-4days and most involve just me traveling.  My
husband and daughter stay home.  My husband watches my daughter and my
daughter watches the ferrets and other animals.  In the case that either my
daughter or husband or both have to go with me, then I have a network in
place.  A sister cares for the horse and goat and cats.  My mom takes the
guinea pig, a sister takes the hamster, an experienced "birdman" takes the
parrot and the only person other than my daughter that I trust my ferrets
with takes them.  It is a pain in the butt taking everyone to where that
will be staying, but well worth the peace of mind!!!  I only have the three
ferrets so maybe it is easier for me to get away then someone with let's
say 5, 6 or more ferrets!  But I think that even if you have that many, if
you build a network of people you can trust, a vacation is possible!
(That's not to say that you won't worry, because I can guarantee you will!
I do the whole time I am away!  ) Just be prepared to give support in
return!  I have had to watch dogs, rodents, rabbits and my 95 year old
grandpa in exchange, but it's well worth it!  Everyone needs a break now
and then!  I say go for it!

=====
Judy Cooke
Tyson, Hope, and Einstein

"The world is made up for the most part of morons and natural tyrants,
sure of themselves, strong in their own opinions, never doubting
anything." Clarence Darrow