Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 15:54:10 -0500
In a recent private discuss the topic of urinary stones in ferrets
came up as a topic.

Of those stones the three most common types found in ferrets are:

Struvite Stones which are usually due either to infection or to a
poor diet too high in plant proteins and for that a better diet and
sometimes an acidifier are good.

For Cystine Stones the protein intake has to decreased since the
kidneys are unable to process the levels being eaten of any of four
amino acids, and the urine is already often too acidic and an acidifier
should NOT be used.

Today I ran into an article on Vitamin C which had information that
more Vitamin C than is healthy may lead to Calcium Oxalate Stones. I
thought that this might be useful because I have heard people wonder if
and when acidic things like Vitamin C are good with uroliths, but it
appears that for two of the three most common types of such stones in
ferrets (Cystine, and Calcium Oxalate) there are extreme cautions on
that regard.

The work was in humans, but the mechanisms should be about the same and
perhaps this may help save a ferret:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9767367

http://jasn.asnjournals.org/content/15/12/3225.long

<http://www.bioscience.org/u37153137/gaDTRQo7632rgysaGWQYT64356/2003/v8/s/1082/1082.pdf>

Sukie (not a vet) Ferrets make the world a game.

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.miamiferret.org/
http://www.ferrethealth.msu.edu/