From:
"Newell, Tim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 1997 21:51:00 -0400
Hello All
I hope you all remember when I posted about a month ago my girl Daisy had 15
babies, 10 of which lived and are still alive and doing well.  Although last
nite I got home from work at about 12:30 and Daisy had not had any stools
all day which if any one has had a nursing mother is very odd.  I then
picked her up and she had a very large golf ball size lump.  She was also
very dehydrated and lethargic I called a friend who told me to give her an
antibiotic which I had for one of the babies who had cut its belly.  She
also had me give her a tablet of pepcid AC mixed with water in case it was a
ulcer, also I gave her pydalite to rehydrate her.  Then put a warm compress
on the sore.  I stayed up with her until 3:00 am.  Then got back up at 7:00
am to be at the vets when he opened.

Her fever was 104.5 and she was very dehydrated and the sore looked worse.
He suggested and I agreed to leaving her there and having her put on an IV
to give her fluid and medicine.  She will be there until at least tomorrow
we miss her but not as much as the babies they will not stop crying they are
eating mush and drinking a cat milk like KRM its called first milk.  They
are doing fine and were very healthy when this happened.  The Vet said its
is mastitis a very bad case.  He felt she would not have made it had I not
got her in quickly.  I will let you know when she is home safe.  My vet is
Dr. Thomas Kline in Col Ohio and he has been great.

                        Tim Newell