From:
CGarcia737 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 20:30:23 EST
I got an e-mail the other day from a sweet person who had seen my posts here
and on the FFML.  Someone had called her about a ferret in Salt Lake City
that needed a home by Friday or he would go to the pound (or a shelter).
She could not take him in, so thought I might be interested or know someone.
I said Yes, I'll take him.  We had wanted another ferret, so this came at a
perfect time.

I was able to get in touch with the people he was staying with, and we went
over yesterday to get him.  (I just happened to be home during the day
yesterday since Ricky Ricardo fell on the ice and ended up with 5 staples in
his head......)

They had rescued him from someone who didn't really care about him, but due
to their apartment regs couldn't keep him.  You could tell they were getting
attached to him already.  When she got him, he had no food or water in his
cage, and the food that came with him was an Eukanuba Adult cat food.  His
nails had never been clipped, and he was very skinny.  She got him some nice
ferret food, ferretone, and treats and toys.  He had already put on weight.
His previous owner had told her that he had been to the vet "once when I got
him, about two years ago.  He got his shots then, and ferrets only need
shots once (can you believe it?)" She seemed sad to see him go, but glad to
go where he would be loved.  I told her that she could have visiting rights
and to call anytime to see how he was.

Well, on the way home I got a look at him.  I think he's a "Cinnamon
Siamese" sable type (I hope I got that description right, Mags!) and very
sweet and loving.  With all he's been through, he KISSES.  I christened him
Hubert, after my father (God rest his soul.  He was an animal lover and I'm
sure he's pleased....).  He came home and met Pato and Snowball.  As they
each met him, the first thing they did was lick his ears.  They got along
great.  No poofy tails, no fussing, just a lot of heiny sniffing.  They all
slept together last night in a pile like Hubert had been there forever.  I'm
proud of my boys for being such sweeties!

Hubert has one broken fang, and walks like he might have been hurt at one
time.  (I'm going to be charitable and say these were accidents since I
don't know any better.  You can tell they are both "old" injuries.)  He will
be going to the vet soon to be checked out and get his proper shots.  He
also has an interesting "habit".  Hubert drinks potty (as in toilet) water.
We have to keep the lids down now.  Pato and Snowball have never been
interested in the "throne" unless they could climb up the covers I put on
them to look in the tub.  We keep telling him it's nasty, but he doesn't
believe us.  (I thought only dogs did that1)

On a more somber note, I am glad that Hubert's guardian angel had been
looking out for him and placed him in the hands of such sweet foster
parents.  I'm also glad that the connection to us was made.  Especially
since last night on the news, it had a bit on there (I didn't see it but my
friends told me about it) about "ferrets being illegal in Salt Lake County
because they are wild animals, and if they come to the pounds they are
euthanized." Boy, am I glad I live in DAVIS County.  This is so ridiculous.
I am in the process of writing a letter to the editor of the Salt Lake
Tribune.  I've got to start somewhere.  I mean, Utah is notoriously 20 years
behind the times, but this is ridiculous.

Catherine, Pato, Snowball (we love our new brother, Mama!) and Hubert (Yummy,
potty water!  Thanks Mama!)
Behind the Zion Curtain