From:
Natasha Krause <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2012 12:57:38 +0000
First off I am very sorry to hear of all of Simba's troubles and wish
the best for both of you. I had a few thoughts after reading your
post but will start off with the disclaimer that I am not vet (yet).
Struvite crystals often form in urine that is alkaline urine, one thing
you may want to try and I don't know how well it would work but may be
worth a try is offering science diet feline c/d kibble. This is a diet
that is designed to help cats control their urine pH to hopefully avoid
issues they have with struvite and oxalate crystals/stone formation.

Another idea it this all depends on how well you think Simba would
tolerate this and of course what your vet thinks, is maybe placing a
temporary urinary catheter to allow him to urinate freely for a time
and help some of the inflammation that is most likely occurring due to
whatever is causing him to block and the crystals and other material
that may be irritating his bladder wall and urethra.

And finally a more invasive idea and not one I would unless other
options have been exhausted, is maybe see if you can't drain the
prostatic cysts via ultrasound to help decrease prostate size.

Hope this helps and good luck with Simba.

Tasha Krause
KSU CVM Class of 2013