From:
Georgette Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Mar 1998 20:47:43 -0500
Howdy all - hope everyone is doing well and bouncy!  To those who aren't we
all send our positive vibes your way!!

I have been unfortunately having to zip through alot of FML postings cuz
I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay behind but the one response to someone's
question about why we should pay shelters to adopt ferrets definitely
caught my eye. I agree with the person (sorry didn't catch the name) who
defended shelters. The shelters have to put out alot of money to feed
these little guys and gals, not to mention vet bills. As others may have
already said, alot of these ferrets have come to the shelters abused and
malnourished or sick and it takes both time and money to get them back on
their feet and in condition to adopt back out to responsible owners.

I think also charging people also lessens the chance for people flippantly
just picking up a ferret on a whim.  If you have to invest some money
***USUALLY*** there has been some time taken to think about such a purchase
beforehand.  Of course, we all know that that is not always the case - sigh!

The shelters need the money and other donations to keep up the good work
that they do.  It's not like the moeny is not going towards a good cause or
that the shelters are pulling in tons o' dough!!  Even a basic check-up at
the vet isn't just chicken feed - are you not a pet owner yourself??  You
should know how much vet bills cost - then times that by say 10 ferrets -
that's getting into some serious cash!!  And that's not counting any
possible medications that are needed.  Think about it.

As for the 'damaged goods' comment - let's just say that I think that's a
horrible thing to say!!  My little Geisha, who was abandonned when she was
about eight months old, had been abused and neglected horribly by her
previous assholes (oops!  Did I say that???) but she's the most precious
thing I've ever had the pleasure of being ruled by.  ;->

Anyways, I think I'll step down now. 'Nuff said.

Happy dooking - George, Jasper and the Tribe!

Georgette Peters                            Nothing is fool-proof to a
Steacie Science Library                     sufficiently talented fool.
York University
4700 Keele Street                                     *****
North York, Ontario                                 *********
M3J 1P3                                               *****
(416)736-5084
                                             Dook, dook, bjork, bjork!
e-mail - [log in to unmask]                        - Swedish Ferret