From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 19:25:41 EST
I am having a off day today.  But, something concerns me.  This is in
reference to the 4 ferrets in Dunwoody.  A post was asking for assistance
for these ferrets.  People came together in the area to provide
assistance.  This I am very happy about that.

What I find disturbing is out of all these people willing to assist these
guys and take them home.  How many will assist the shelter in taking one
of them home?  Let's say, you made up your mind to get one of these guys.
But, they aren't there anymore.  Durng this decision making process you
decided one more couldn't hurt.  I can put the ferret over here.  They can
have this hammie, toy, and oh I get some treats.  After the decision is
made but the ferrets are gone.  You go home and say.  We'll I tried.  But,
it didn't work out.

Since the famous 4 are gone.  How about helping out the shelter in your
area.  If not adopting then foster.  I believe the Ferret Business of GA
is hand feeding 8 morning and night along with the others that either need
run time, love, and attention.  I have 2 that I am rehabilitating, I have
had them since Jan.  My little actress is now eating kibble.  You don't
know how long I have waited for the day to see that.  Along with those
guys I have 12 ferrets (3 that are now redecorating daddy's office, in
which we will have back together before he gets home from his trip),
parakeets, guinea pigs, mice.  I go to college full-time and play on a
womens professional football team.( you can check me out on
www.atlanta-leopards.com I am number 61).  I make time for my
responsibilites.

All I am trying to get across is don't just be active in the ferret
community when situations like this occur.  Lend a helping hand in other
ways also.  I have been in a couple of shelters and have seen what they
do.  It takes a lot.  They are handling other peoples responsibilities.
People who set out to give these guys homes and then decided they don't
want them.  What do they do?  Put them boxes and sit them in a parking
lot somewhere.  Put them in boxes and put them in trashcans.  What is up
with shoe boxes anyway?  Appears to be the famous way to discard a ferret.
Not only that.  Most of the ones found in boxes have been dealing with
outside elements.  Weather, no food, they could be emancipated, left for
dead and so on.  How about these guys?  Give them a nice, warm, loving
and attentive home.  When I see ferrets in shelters drives me fruity.
But, when you read this you will see I am already there.  They deserve a
loving environment.  Have you every seen a ferret that has been in a bad
situation blossom?  I have and it is the most rewarding thing.  This is
just something to consider.  I think everyone reading this will feel what
I am saying.  If not, that's okay too.  I will continue to do what I do.

Anyone can feel free to e-mail me with any concerns or gripes it doesn't
matter.  Everyone has opinions, that's what builds character.

Thank you,
Benita