From:
Joe Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:58:34 -0400
[Moderator's note: There are a few connected email pieces here, forwarded
by permission.  It's a little hard to follow, though makes sense, I think,
overall :-)  BIG]

Hi Sukie and Amy--

Thanks for your update.  With Jeanne out of town, there was an unfortunate
information void, and I was trying to help fill in the gap.

I was very careful before writing to review what Jeanne posted, both in the
Ferretnews email and in alt.pets.ferrets, regarding Senator Johnston, as
Chairman, being the only exception to the rule:

**********
Hello everyone,

Our bill, AB 854, is set to be heard in the Appropriations Committee on
August 23rd.  I will be out of town on that date so you will need to
either wait until I get back on the 30th for an update, or, hopefully
our webmaster will find out and post it on the website at
http://www.ferretnews.org.

Please do NOT write to anyone on this committee if you are not in his or
her district.  Non-residents of California under NO circumstances should
write at all, please!  The only exception (for California residents ONLY)
is the Committee Chair, Patrick Johnston.  However, if you cannot write a
POLITE letter to Senator Johnston, I beg you not to write to the Chairman
or anyone.

YOU WILL ONLY HURT OUR ISSUE!!!!!
<snip>
Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization

In hindsight, given Senator Johnston's record and powerful position, there
was probably no hope for a different outcome, regardless of how many or how
few letters were sent.  If I misinterpreted what Jeanne wrote, I apologize.
I hope no harm was done.

In any case, I hope people will still write *politely* to their Senator and
to Governor Davis.  Based on the information Debby from Capitol City Ferret
Club posted, it sounds like we'll be starting again next year in the Senate.

Sincerely,

Joe