From:
JudithMoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 06:17:18 -0800
For those of you who have visited my home you will know about the "ferret
room".  We have completely (we thought) ferret proofed this room.  When I
get home from work I start letting ferrets out to play.  This has to be
done in groups as not everyone can get out.

One rainy night my husband went out to get something from the garage and I
heard him yelling.  Thinking all kinds of things I rushed out to find him
holding a very wet ferret.  Thinking someone else had dumped a ferret we
rushed it into the house.  Upon a closer look I recognized it as one of
mine.  I ran into the ferret room and checked all around and counted noses.
We were still one ferret short and no visible way for them to get out.  I
returned everyone to their cages and carefully recounted.  Still short one.
We looked and looked.  Finally my husband found out how they were getting
out.  One of them had pushed a window screen out.  Now this window is 4
feet above the floor and supposedly unreachable by the ferrets.  Now we
looked for the other ferret.  For three days we looked.

We had really given up hope after 5 days had passed.  Then as I was
cleaning cages I heard a terrible ruckus in the backyard.  I rushed to the
window to see my dogs chasing A FERRET!  Boy, did I fly!  The little girl
was so terrified with all the noise and strangeness that she promptly
ripped my hand in several places.  Unwilling to just leave her and get a
blanket (smart approach) I just steeled myself and grabbed her.  (several
more nasty bites) Got her inside and finally into a small carrier.  (time
for the bandaids and medicine) We gave her about an hour to calm down in
her usual surroundings.  Then I got her out and thoroughly examined her.
No cuts or injuries!  And now she knows who I am and doesn't bite.  Soooooo
glad to have her home!  I did my own version of the weasel war dance.  No
more mysterious escapes, the window is closed except when they are all in
their cages.

Judith
Moonsong Ferrets bred to be the perfect companion
http://moonsongferrets.virtualave.net