From:
Andy Coghill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 13:03:36 -0500
>From:    Especially Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: See what some of us have to deal with!
> This is the question sent to my e-mail:
>How long is the lifespan of a ferret & does it have saliva glands, or will
>it die without water?
>
>This is my answer to this persons question:
>I guess a smart ass question gets a smart ass answer....you need to water
>the dirt in your brain cavity,
>Ferretguy
>
>Would any of you answered this different and how?

Yes.  I would have answered differently.

First, as a point of distinction: uneducated and :smart ass" are not
synonymous.  I find it hard to swallow that this question was asked of
you out of any form of malice or mischief.  I think that the person was
probably just asking an honest question that they wanted to know the answer
to, as obvious as it may seem to the rest of us.

If someone want to put yourself out there as a resource for people who want
to learn more about ferrets, they need to face some simple facts:

(1) Public information about ferrets is very limited.  Many people wouldn't
know a ferret if they saw one.

(2) They are going to receive a lot of very intelligent questions about
ferrets.  Because of (1), however, they are going to receive some downright
stupid questions, too (no such thing as a stupid question... only a stupid
person asking it?)

If someone feels the need to put themselves in that role as resource, then
they must promote a positive image of ferrets.  In order to do that, they
must also promote a positive image of ferret-owners (themself).  Answering
honest questions with "smart ass" answers will not accomplish that end.
The asker will most likely end any intellectual/educational association
with ferrets that very instant.

The point: just answer questions.  Do not tease -- TEACH!  Perhaps you will
encourage the person to continue to learn and next time -- just maybe --
they will come back with a more intelligent question.

-- Andy and the four Sock Pirates
Cody ("I just want to snuggle.")
Tripod Bob ("Look out everyone!  I'm gonna kick -- well, knee -- your
butt!")
Ifdaschuwitz "Witzy" ("I'm no scared of you no more, Bob. . .")
Oscar ("Can't we all just get along?")
. . . missing our little Lily-doodle. . .
. . . with Fossa and Socrates waiting at the Bridge. . .