From:
Brad Laraway <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 1993 15:46:31 -0500
A> From: <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: A Mouse in the House
> Date:   Fri, 10 Dec 1993 14:40:30 -0500
> 1.  Its possible to just have 1 mouse, right?  I mean, if I see one mouse
>     that doesn't mean there are many mice wandering around my apartment does

        Usualy mice like to live in small communities.  Although it depends
the amount of food availible.  The more food the more mice.

> 2.  How bad are mice?  I mean, I hear they carry fleas and rabies (?) and
>     other bad things.  (I don't know anything about mice).

        This I'm not realy sure of.  Fleas yes.  Rabies I have no idea.

> 3.  I want to let my ferrets out in the living room to play, but I don't
>     want anything bad to happen to the ferrets!  Do I have anything to
>     worry about?  Will the mouse attack a curious ferret if the mouse
>     feels threatened?  Will the ferret kill the mouse?

        The only mouse my ferrets have ever seen was one of the pet store
rabbit fur one, that they ate half of before I even new it.  Glad I was
at least smart enough to remove the plastic eyes and nose before giving
it to them.

> 4.  I've also heard that mice can do a lot of damage - chewing on things
>     and what not.  What should I watch out for?

        So can ferrets. :-)

> 5.  Is there anything else I should know about this mouse?  I plan to
>     set mouse traps - but I wish it would just go away.  I don't really
>     want to kill it - but I don't want it giving my apartment fleas either!

        Do not use poison.  Usualy when mice or rats eat poison they become
slow and fearless.  If your ferret eats one who knows.  There might be
enough poison to kill your ferret.  Using a small Have-a-hart(sp) Trap
like someone else suggested would be the safest way to catch these little
beasties.  That way the body stays warm and the fleas go with them.  Fleas
will jump off a cold dead body and look for other forms of food. (you or
your ferrets)

> And one more non-mouse related question - do ferrets eat small cockroaches?
> Oooh, that's gross.  We used to have cockroaches.. they are gone now.  I

        I guess that would depend on your ferret. Cockroch Cocktale any one?
YUM YUM..  :-0
> Chris.

        Well it's only wenesday but hope you all have a good weekend.

        Brad, Sebastian and Mako.