From:
Matthew Madison Strauch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 22:25:54 -0700
Over the past few days I have read several posts that say, in one form or
another, Get used to it, they're ferrets, thats what ferrets do.  This has
been used to describe behavior that most think of as "bad".  I am refering
to biting, using the wrong corner for business, and being rough.  It has
been suggested that instead of training a ferret not to misbehave, the owner
should be trained to accept the behavior, because it is narural for ferrets.
I disagree.  Most pets have some wildness in their backround... you may have
to go way back but its there.  A dog for instance can be trained to be
aggressive or loving.  Several police departments get their "attack dogs"
from local shelters, the same pets you and I addopt.  I have had several
different pets from dogs and cats to snakes and chickens (yes this chicken
was a house-pet!) With exception of the snake and turtles, I have had no
problem training my pets, and curbing unacceptable behavior.  I have never
let my pet get away with biting or relieving themselves in the wrong spot
simply because it was in their nature.  Almost all animals are trainable...
INCLUDING FERRETS.  These are VERY smart animals and learn fast.  For
instance my two ferrets will go back to their cage to use the bathroom, or
they will let me know that they have to go and I will take them to their
cage (Weasel does this more than slinky).  In fact weasel is probably
over-trained, it is quite humorous, I will explain... This is how I trained
my ferres to use their litter box.

When I first got my ferrets (they were adults and a gift from someone who
could/would not care for them).  They were not trained well.  I got them
used to using their litterbox by keeping them in a small area (just their
cage).  They had to choose to use their litterbox, bed, or food for a
bathroom.  Eventually they chose their litterbox (no I did not let them live
in filth, but I am trying to keep this short).  After they learned what the
litterbox was for I let them out and SUPERVISED them (very important).  If
they used the bathroom in the house I would scold them and put them in their
cage.  I tried to catch them before they did this though.  I would look for
signs that they had to go (backing in a corner, circling a corner, ect.) I
would catch them ASAP and put them in their cage.  I would WATCH THEM IN
THEIR CAGE and when they used their litterbox I would reward them (treats!)
and then let them out to play again.  Soon they learned that using the
litterbox was good, using a corner was bad.  I still re-enforce this
behavior by giving them treats only after they use the bathroom.  Which is
funny because now, weasel will see me walk by her cage and she will run over
to her litterbox and back in - even if she just went- in hopes of a treat.
If she is out playing she will get my attention (jump on my foot) then run
to a corner and back up.  This gets my attention all right!  I put her in
the cage and she goes to the litter box and backs in again ... but just for
a few seconds because she doesn't have to go!  I will stand there and when
she is done pretending she looks at me as if to say "so...what do I get".
If I don't give her anything right then she backs up in her litterbox again
(see dad I went, its just invisible!).  After a while of this, she usually
goes some, if not I give her something anyway (it's the thought that counts
but I should probably stop).  Slinky hasn't caught on to this, she just goes
over to her cage.  Sure there are the occaisional accidents, but I don't let
them go un-noticed.

Well after all this rambling, my point is this: Just because they are
ferrets, doesn't mean they can not be trained.  You do not have to live with
behavior you do not want.  Training just takes a LOT of time.  Do not reward
them on occaision for good behavior, reward that behavior every single time!
I spent an entire weekend watching and waiting for them to go to the
bathroom.  I rewarded them everytime they went to the bathroom that weekend
(except when I was sleeping, but I think they knew I wasnt around!) Weasel
has never bitten me, and I have slinky now only bites my ankle when I am
standing over her...but I'm working on it.

Sorry if this is a bit long.
Matt Madison Strauch, Oklahoma City