From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:13:09 +1000
To Tim

Probably your post will be seen as inflammatory by some but I can sort of
see where you are coming from.

The fact is that ferrets can be much loved, well cared for, family pets AS
WELL AS working ferrets.

Here in Australia, the rabbit is an introduced species which is detrimental
to the environment.  The introduction of myxomatosis and, more recently,
calicci disease virus has had little effect on their numbers, and they
appear in plague proportions over the land.  I should probably point out
here that I don't work my own ferrets because I can't bear to see anything
die, but that is my problem and not a view I would force on anyone else.

Another fact is that ferrets love to hunt.  (The closest my ferrets have
been to hunting, is being able to play in the burrows after the rabbits and
hunters have moved on, and wow, is it fun.).  All the working ferrets have
to do is run down the rabbit burrows, the rabbits hear and smell them and
flee into the nets set by the hunters where they are quickly dispatched.
That is a very simplified explaination but, hopefully will suffice for now.

If rabbits are a problem, ferreting is certainly an environmentally
friendly way to help solve the problem and certainly a pleasureable way for
ferrets and some people to pass their time.  Not to mention that rabbits
are very nice to eat for people and ferrets.  I don't think that it is a
passtime which should be disparraged at all.

The point I really want to make is that there is no difference in nature
between the working ferret and family pet ferret and all will benefit from
a loving owner, healthy diet, stimulating living environment and proper
health care.

Love & Dooks
Shirley