From:
Joanne D'Amico <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2005 13:49:26 -0500
Speaking of Border Collies .... my male Border Collie, Sarge, does herd
them around ... esp.  when there is a jail break into forbidden areas -
he sounds the alarm, and goes after them, gently herding them back to
the doorway of their room ... it's really cute to watch.  He always wears
this worried look (wrinkled brow) during the process.  Sarge has his
favorites, those who play gently with him, and his least favorites (hard
nippers), and when he has had enough, he goes to the door and asks to be
let out.  Peaches was his most favorite.  I would put her up on the bed
(his height) and they would duel back and forth, until eventually she
would fall off, and if she couldn't get back up, he would lie down so
she could continue their game.

He also guards and herds the Muscovy ducks outside, knows exactly who
belongs and who to run off - esp.  any that peck at the babies, and any
who fight, period.  I once saw him pick up an ornery male who refused
to obey him, carry him out onto our dock and spit him into the water.
Not a feather out of place.  He is very gentle and patient with all his
charges .... Sarge was an adoptee from the local animal shelter (all
our pets are rescues).  He had only one week left when we adopted him.
Imagine the loss of such a wonderful soul, if someone hadn't shown up
in time ....