From:
Chana Rosen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 12:58:34 EDT
I have 3 ferrets and a cat.  Our cat HATES the ferrets, but we have
caught him doing something cute, which thank G-d didn't hurt the ferret
involved...

On a couple of occasions in the past few years the ferrets have escaped
their cage in the middle of the night (usually following a cage cleaning
where a cage clip didn't get put back properly), or from their play area
during the day.  One day we saw the cat running towards the basement
with a ferret in his mouth (the ferret wasn't bothered by this at all,
interestingly enough, he thought this was some cool game -- wierd
ferret)...well, we thought the cat was planning to kill the ferret, so
we intercepted them and took the ferret and scolded the cat.

Then, a few days ago, we found out what the cat's true intentions had
been.  A ferret was playing in the basement, and the cat took the ferret
in his mouth again, and carried the ferret back to the cage, where he
sat staring at the cage, trying to figure out how to get the ferret back
in...it was so funny.  Again, we took the ferret out of his mouth and
yelled "NO!" at the cat...now he just looks miserably at the ferrets in
their playpen and meows and walks back towards the cage, as if to say
"come on, Mom, put them back in the cage where they're supposed to be!"

However, even though he hasn't ever hurt them (carrying them by their
scruffs apparently doesn't bother them, they seem to love the cat), I
would never want to leave him unattended with them.  Even though this is
a cat who was completely *terrified* when he saw a mouse, you just never
know.

I'm jealous of people whose cats and ferrets get along brilliantly.
*sigh* Why did we have to get a ferret-hating cat??

Take care,
Chana