From:
"Bill Gruber, FML moderator" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2006 01:44:49 EDT
About a month ago I announced that the FML will soon be moving to a new
location.  I think you are all due an update.

Much progress has been made.  The site I was counting on came through
and all the archives already have been moved and tested, though they
probably also will remain at CUNY for some time.

Moving the list is a much bigger task since the procedures I use have
been constantly fine-tuned over the last decade, but time is running
out so I will have to make the move fairly soon.  The first priority
will be to keep the list functional with as little change as possible
for you.  New features, such as the ability to post directly from the
web may (or may not) be added later.

There are likely to be a few rough spots as new procedures get worked
out on my end, but I think we'll be just fine in the long run.  And in
case you are wondering, you will not have to subscribe again -- the
existing subscription list will simply be moved over to the new server.

I'll give you a further update in a few days.

Thanks again for your patience.

Bill

P.S. In case you missed the original announcement, here is a excerpt
from FML issue 5351:

[...]
In short, I have resigned from The City University of New York, where
the FML has been hosted for the last dozen years or so and where I have
worked for over 25 years.  The new administration in charge of things
like mailing lists is still trying to figure out how things work, and
although I am helping when asked (and this mess today was news to me
until just a couple of hours ago when I noticed), I think it's safe to
say the days of mailing lists such as the FML being hosted here will
very soon come to an end.

This was anticipated several months ago, before I even decided for sure
to leave, and 2 alternate plans were put into motion, but the swiftness
of this change caught me by surprise.  But, relatively soon -- within a
few weeks, I'd guess -- there will be a NEW address for the FML: posts
will be sent to the new address and mailings will arrive from the new
address.

Other things will remain basically the same.  Archives will eventually
be moved too, and since I *really* don't want FMLs cluttered with ads,
I will not be using a free service like yahoogroups.  In fact, I'll be
using the same premium LISTSERV(r) software to distribute the FML that
has always been used over the last dozen years and will use a private
hosting service, not a big free one.

For now, please continue as usual.  I will make a further announcment
as soon as some final details (like making things work!) are figured
out.  Please do keep in mind that we may be cut off prematurely.  If
this happens I'll e-mail everyone periodically to let you know what's
going on, but posts may have to be held for a little bit until we're
re-established. ...