From:
Marie Schatz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 08:42:35 -0700
[Moderator's note: Marie points out in a note to me:

"... I know it doesn't pertain specifically to ferrets but since ferrets
are used in a lot of research any change in the USDA definitions for
research animals would certainly benefit them.  The more input the better."

OK, guess she has a point.  BIG]

++@ Permission to Crosspost ++@

Title: Animal Welfare; Definitions for and Reporting of Pain and Distress
Docket Type: Request for comments

<snip>
SUMMARY: We are considering several changes to the Animal Welfare
regulations to promote the humane treatment of live animals used in
research, testing, and teaching and to improve the quality of information
we report to Congress concerning animal pain and distress.

Specifically, we are considering adding a definition for the term
"distress."  Although this term is used throughout the Animal Welfare
regulations, it is not defined.  The addition of such a definition would
clarify what we consider to be "distress" and could help assist research
facilities to recognize and minimize distress in animals in accordance
with the Animal Welfare Act (AWA).

We are also considering replacing or modifying the system we use to
classify animal pain and distress.  Professional standards regarding
the recognition and relief of animal pain and distress have changed
significantly since we established our classification system.  Some
biomedical research professionals and animal welfare advocates believe
our classification system is outdated and inadequate.  A different
categorization system could produce data that more accurately depict the
nature of animal pain or distress and provide a better tool to measure
efforts made to minimize animal pain and distress at research facilities.

We are soliciting public comments on the changes we are considering.  We
are also interested in obtaining information on specific pain and distress
classification systems other than the one we now use.

DATES: We invite you to comment on this docket.  We will consider all
comments that we receive by September 8, 2000.  <snip>

Full information
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=2000_register
&docid=fr10jy00-18

Or you can get to that same document by going to
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ppd/rad/webrepor.html

If you scroll down the page you will find this Docket #: 00-005-1
Title: Animal Welfare; Definitions for and Reporting of Pain and
Distress
Docket Type: Request for comments
Publication Date: 7/10/00
CFR Part: 9 CFR 1 and 2
FR Citation: 65 FR 42034

<<<Information received from "Dying for Love", A group of friends
against Puppy Mills. http://www.stop-puppy-mills.com >>>

++@ Permission to Crosspost ++@

Denise.

...The more I know people, the more I love animals...