From:
Dan Muldoon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:58:12 -0500
-----Original Message 1-----

-----Original Message 2-----
>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Ok - kids, this is getting ridiculous!
>
>Why in the world are we spending so much time in this forum, complaining
>about a MOVIE where FAKE FERRETS are being used...?

Modern Ferret #24 (the Halloween-centerfold issue).  Verizon Wireless.
And now Harry Potter.  Unpleasant depictions of ferrets inevitably bring
out FMLers expressing their objection.  And those objections summon at
least one use of "lighten up" or "get over it," like switching on your
porch light on a summer eve brings on the moths.

Yes, people sometimes get carried away about these things.  But, IMHO,
the more someone needs to lighten up or get over it, the more likely
that telling them so will have the opposite effect.

J.K. Rowling does *not* deserve to be rebuked over this thing.  But
neither do those who don't like this scene.  And why not give us a
heads-up in case we don't like graphic depictions of things happening
to ferrets--and let us choose whether or not to go watch, or let our
children watch?

Another word that tends to come up is "fake."  If anyone writing about
this matter thought real ferrets were used, I'm selling some splendid
real estate with a panoramic view of Hogwarts.  (Small kids might not be
able to tell they're not real, but I don't think they're posting to FML.)

As for Malfoy being turned into a ferret in Book Four, I haven't read it,
but I can imagine some pretty amusing Quidditch games.  Maybe Ms. Rowling
can someday write about him jumping up and weasel-wardancing after the
golden snitch!

Dan