From:
Beth Stoker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 13:12:39 -0700
Well we made it we are all moved in and slightly unpacked.  I got Minerva &
Frumpstiggle situated in my daughter's bedroom.  They have free run inside
the room and they love it.  They even go back to the cage rather than mess
on the floor - which I was worried about.

So we are now sharing the house with a springer spaniel.  I haven't had any
interaction between the dog and the ferrets yet because I'm a bit nervous.
Bridgette, the dog, is getting over the excitement of having a new smell in
her house and my girls have been so interested in checking out all the new
stuff they haven't noticed the dog too much.

I know we have had discussions on the list before of how to show your dog
that the ferrets are not food and are above them on the favored ladder.
But what I need to know is how can I show my girls not to hurt the dog?  (I
know it sounds silly) But this is the dog that just laid there while my
daughter (when she was an infant) pulled the dog's lip practically over her
head and scratched her gums.  Bridgette is probably the most tolerent dog
you'll ever meet.  I'm afraid that my girls won't know when to stop and may
hurt her because she won't let them know.  Any tips on how to show ferrets
the pain threshold of other animals?

I've been thinking about buying my girls a new cage because I don't like
the way I have the linoleum on the bottom floor and I can't tear it out.  I
really wanted to build them a cage - with that hard plastic coating the
wire, removable floors on each level (that slide right out) for cleaning, a
litterbox sunken into the floor, carpeting on the upper levels and
basically a more useful layout of space... I know I'm not picky... I know
if I build them a cage though it will be quite some time - I procrastinate
on projects that require dexterity.  With buying the new cage, do you think
it is more important to have height or width to the cage.  The cage I have
has more height, but is that really better?  There is a store near me that
sells these wonderful cages 3 -4 levels of both types for around $60.  Lots
to choose from.  Any ideas on how I could vamp one of these store made
cages to meet my requirements better?

One more concern that you may be able to help me with.  We are in the
basement - so there is practically no natural light.  Not that the old
apartment had much either.  But I know natural light is important to every
one people and ferrets.  How much should they get?  Would taking them
outside (when it's overcast) make any difference?  There are florescent
lights in the basement - should I replace them with those 'natural light
bulbs' or is that just for show?

Thank you so much to every one on this list for caring enought to listen to
every one and share the knowledge, experinces and humor that you have
gained from the fuzzies.  And BIG thank you so much for providing us a way
to do that!

Beth, Minerva & Frumpstiggle the marsh wiggle
in Aurora, Colorado