From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 20:03:28 EST
>...do I allow these people to continue to do this, although they have no
>license, and are basically breaking the law, and also housing ferrets in
>conditions unlike ours, which can be inspected whenever the state feels
>the need?  Or do I just sit back and allow this to continue?

Here in NH, we heard rumors of an unlicensed shelter operating in the
eastern part of the state but were never able to track it down.  Eventually
one of the Humane Society shelters found it and shut it down.  The 21
ferrets were kept in deplorable conditions, many of them in serious need of
vet care.  Bottom line was that nearly $3000 dollars in vet care was spent
to try to save them.  Seven dies shortly after their rescues in spite of
intensive care, several more succumbed later.

By all means, take action if you know where these "shelters" are.  In NH
our license is only $50 a year and that includes two unannounced
inspections every year.  The unlicensed shelters may be just fine, but in
that case they should be willing to stand up to the inspections.

Barium:
The barium is opaque to x-ray and will tend to coat the material that is
causing the blockage, or at least help pinpoint the point where the
blockage is occurring.  We've had it done several time for some of the
shelter guys and it can be a big help in the diagnosis.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter