From:
ferretsrcool <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 08:17:04 -0800
Re: ferret bedding, etc.--

For my little fuzzy (Guida aka ratty, age 6+) I use inexpensive towels,
like the kind you get at Wal-Mart for a buck or two.  (They actually
started off as mine, but she took them).  They also come in handy for
use at bathtime.

For her sleeping quarters, I hung a basket from the side of her cage (it is
in the shape of a half-circle, with the flat side against the cage wall)
and I put a hand size towel in there.  I also put 1/2 of a large towel on
the bottom of the cage.  This also serves to deter her from pooping on the
cage floor.

The absolute BEST thing I have found though is the bottom half of a leg
(from the knee down) from some jogging pants.  This makes a perfect
"sleeping bag" for her and she prefers this above all else to sleep in.
She also has a tube suspended from the cage walls and uses this
sporadically.

As for washing her bedding, I just wash it like everything else.  I use
laundry detergent and fabric softener.  This does not cause her any
problems with her skin or otherwise, though somewhere out there there is
probably a ferret or two that have adverse reactions, just like people.

Re parenting a ferret in general, like most people on this list, I worry
about her too much but I also try to relax and let her be a ferret.  If she
wants to taste my seafood gumbo or chomp on my coconut popsicle or try some
of my candy bar, that's fine with me.  She LOVES white zinfandel wine (I
discovered this when she practically dove into a cup that was on the floor
one day and I got her just in time) and I even allow her a drop of this
from my finger.  When I got her (at age 6 weeks) I was so paranoid
something would happen to her that I would not even let her off of my bed.
When I finally let her run around the apartment, I put her on a leash and
tied her to a lamp.  Now, she goes all over the place, climbing, jumping
and sometimes even falling.  She is healthier and happier than ever.

I am not advocating just letting a ferret do whatever, but I have to say
that both of our lives have been improved by my relaxing a little, keeping
an eye on her, and letting her enjoy everything in life--in moderation, of
course.  I think it boils down to knowing about ferrets in general, but
also getting to know yours.  Just like people kids, they are individuals,
with their own likes, quirks, and preferences.

Take care and happy holidays; I hope that everyone's fuzzy babies are well
and happy!!

Ann & ratty