Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:47:16 -0700
I read the post from an anonymous poster about ferret math and people
giving up their ferrets, I tend to agree with this author.  I am not
accusing anybody of not loving their animals, so do not flame me!

Here is my perspective on adopting any animal:

Do the research.  Ask questions such as, "what types of illnesses and vet
bills can I probably expect?" "how much time and care does this animal
need?" etc...

I understand about financial constraints "suddenly" occurring, but I do
think there are ways to keep ferrets even if you "think" you cannot afford
them.  It is simply a matter of how far you are willing to go to make it
happen.  After all, if your financial situation changes, do you suddenly
put your human child up for adoption?  Not likely, so why would you do this
with your pet?  Animals are a full-time commitment, and should not be taken
lightly.

We have a problem with over crowded shelters and unwanted/neglected animals
because people are not willing to "go the extra mile" to keep their
animals.  It is a lack of dedication and responsibility that I see, nothing
else.  Here is a story for you.  There is a homeless man who lives on the
streets in Seattle.  He has a dog.  This dog is fed before the man eats,
this dog is taken to the vet on a regular basis and the man pays for the
vet bills (probably reduced because the vet feels bad for him), but the man
uses his money on his dog before he even thinks of himself.  This is an
extreme case, but to those of you who have acquired too many ferrets to
care for, think of this man.  He loves dogs, but realizes he can barely
afford to have one (let alone seven).  I am just stating that this is the
type of owner that we should all aspire to be.  It is a TRUE story, I have
spoken with this man and given his dog food.  His dog goes EVERYWHERE with
him.  Sometimes I think this dog has the best life a dog could have - his
owner cares more about him than himself.

I have four ferrets and that is where "the buck" stops.  I know that I do
not have the time to care for more than this.  I have spent about $1,000 in
the past two months for supplies, vet bills and more.  This is not the way
I would like to spend my money, but these ferrets are very important to
me - they are my children.  I turned down a job that pays twice what I am
making now because it required lots of travel and I just could not stand
to leave my ferrets for that amount of time.  The amount of money I was
offered would have been great (and my husband thinks I am nuts not to take
it) but I have other responsibilities.  One of my ferrets has insulinoma,
and I could not imagine being away and finding out that he passed over
the rainbow bridge while I was gone.  I know that some people are not as
dedicated to their pets, but I feel strongly about the commitment part.

Why would you obtain seven, if you were unsure that you could afford them?
This is silly.  I would not go out and have lots of children without
considering the financial constraints.  Welfare is a whole other issue,
but I will not go there for fear of being flamed.  I think it is very
trashy and irresponsible of people to take other "living beings" into their
lives without the above considerations.  SHAME ON YOU FOR BEING SO SELFISH!

On another note:
If you are interested in beanie babies, why not go to a "beanie baby" chat
room?  This forum is about ferrets and their owners, not stuffed animals.

Sorry if this offended people, but I had a really bad week.  This was due,
in part, to the association that I belonged to and my dealings with some
very selfish people.

Take care and kiss your babies.