Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 00:40:29 +1200
Maria asked about ferret people in New Zealand...

Yes, there are ferret people in New Zealand!  Actually, I don't know of
many, but they do exist <G> I tend to be the loud mouth of the New Zealand
lot, so don't mind my ramblings :o) The people I'm aware of in New Zealand
on this list come from the North Island, predominantly the Wellington and
Auckland areas.  I personally live in Whangarei, about two hours north of
Auckland, and slightly out of the 'ferret scene'.

There are several people on the list that are in the thick of things in
Auckland, where there are two ferret clubs now and ferret frolics and shows
do actually happen now :o) Big steps forward in the past couple of years!
Some of the people on the list here are also on ICQ and often talk through
that medium.  If you're looking to talk with some "locals" about ferrets,
perhaps that's another avenue you may be interested in pursuing.

She also asked:

>Felicity is a sable approximately 4 months old, she hasn't had much
>handling at all in the past so we are having a few interesting experiences
>in the training process.

At four months of age, if they've had little to no handling, ferrets/kits
can be a handful!  Good luck with her :o)

>I would like to know what I should give her as a complete and balanced
>diet.  I went and got her some ferret pellets and she turned her nose up
>at them.  She is a big fan of Chef and Whiskas cat food and Tux dog
>biscuits. She also eats like a horse, (she would eat a horse,) how much
>should she eat?

I'd definitely look at getting her on a different diet.  I must admit, on
the whole, the ferret food here stinks.  Bad quality food for terribly
exhorbitant prices - not worth it.  Totally Ferret came to the country
recently however, so if you can get that, it's worth it.  I would suggest
getting Iams Kitten.  If she's hesitant to eat it, mix it with the other
food until she eats more until she's eating solely the kibble
(biscuits/pellets whatever you'd prefer they're called <G>)

The canned foods are not a suggested full-time meal, as repeated wet food
can be bad for their teeth and those particular ones tend to not be of high
enough quality for them anyway.  Okay as a once weekly treat perhaps, once
she's eating a diet more attuned to her needs.  Dog biscuits are *not*
advised as a food - they do not contain all the nutrients that ferrets
need, and although they're nice and big and heaps of fun to carry around,
consistent feeding of dog food isn't a good idea.  Dogs are omnivores,
eating both meat and plant products.  Cats and ferrets are both carnivores.
In fact, their bodies cannot handle too much in the way of plant products
at all.  As far as diet is concerned, a ferrets requirements are more
similar to a cats (kittens) than a dogs.

>Although Felicity is settling in relatively well after 3 weeks with us,
>our Irish Setter X is petrified of her as she keeps biting his feet.  In
>fact, she goes for everyones feet.  What should we do?  Any help would be
>appreciated.

Some ferrets have a 'foot fetish'.  Actually, a *lot* of ferrets have this!
My ferrets no longer go after my feet, since I tried to learn the fine art
of not "playing" with them.  Consider this... in this, the ferret considers
us a big puppet.  Something to play with :o) Many ferrets learn that in
order to have some fun, they need to encourage their puppet to move.  They
do this by moving the puppets strings - or, in the case of us humans, that
means nipping our toes!  The ideal ferret puppet/toy is one that suddenly
dances around the room, particularly one that makes noises while doing so!
Makes for lots of fun had by all (ferrets that is) It's downright difficult
(and near impossible at times!) but I found the only way for my ferrets to
stop chasing toes was to stop 'dancing'.  So, when my feet get sniffed,
nipped, licked or nipped, I have to *try* not to move at all.  They
eventually bore of the game and give up trying.  The occasional side- nip
may still occur as the ferret tests their puppet to see if it's still
"broken" hehehe

This isn't such an easy thing to control with your poor dog though!  I'd
advise keeping them separate, particularly if the dog is getting nervous
and may potentially snap.  It takes only a second and one animal or another
is hurt.  With an animal the size of a Setter cross, it may mean Felicity
losing her life :o( Some dogs and ferrets get along, others don't.  If you
keep them together at all, supervision will likely be required, at *least*
until your dog gets more relaxed or Felicity learns to stop nipping feet!

Good luck :o)

Sam

To see some awesome ferret cards, drop in on
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~fanmail/cards/ferretcard.htm