From:
Sandra King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 12:47:57 EST
I believe I am about to adopt two more ferrets.  The male had scaly feet
about a month or so ago, and now his poor little feet are swollen, scaly,
cracked and bleeding.  His pinnae are also red and inflamed, inner ears
look O.K.  This ferret shares a cage with a female who has just a hint of
scale on her feet, so don't know if whatever is spreading to her, or if it
is due to lack of exercise, lack of getting out of their cage at all.  I am
assuming it is a fungal infection, did not fluoresce under the blacklight,
but not all fungal infections do.  He feels a bit warm, but did not take a
temp, and he has an accasional bout of green slime (well, the people aren't
sure which one is doing it, they assume it's him).  Did not find any info
in Fox's book, nor Quesenberry's, do not see any info on the 'net.  I
remember hearing something about scaly feet, but do not remember where I
heard about it or what the details were.  Anyone with any suggestions as
to what it may be feel free to inform me, and thus, my vet.

Sandy