From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Dec 1996 20:01:43 GMT
I nearly had a fit when I got Oliver out of his cage for his playtime on
Christmas Eve.  His fur was lying rather funny on the back of his neck.  On
closer inspection I discover a lump 1"x3/4"x1/2".  I immediately 'phoned the
vet to make an appointment for him for Friday morning, the vet had gone home
for the holiday.  I checked with Betty of Liverpool Ferret Welfare and she
reckoned that it was a abscess.  Her diagnosis was spot on because it burst
yesterday and today it has halved in size, I've been bathing it with warm
salty water to try to keep it open.  However, I'll be only too pleased to
start treating Oliver with anti-biotics tomorrow.  I really must get an
extra supply of Antirobe off the vet - that way I can start treatment if
it's a weekend or bank holiday.

Apart from the abscess Oliver is starting to behave more like a ferret, he
didn't want to lie still whilst his neck was bathed, in fact, he doesn't
really want to lie on knees any more, he's got really important ferret
things to see to i.e. stashing the lurchers toys down the settee:-)

I received a heartbreaking 'phone call this morning.  Peter, a fairly new
ferret owner, rang me to say that his little albino jill, Jennifer, had died
in his arms last night.  From the sound of things Jennifer had pneumonia - I
wouldn't be surprised if her resistance to the cold virus had been reduced
due to the fact that she'd been left in season during the summer.  Not
Peter's fault he didn't adopt her until she was more or less coming out of
season.  Peter is now wondering if he is a suitable person to keep ferrets -
he was doing everything he could to learn about ferrets and really cared for
her.  Anyway I've got a couple of ferrets here that I reckon will help to
fill the space until I take in a couple more strays.  So Tasha Yar and Sarek
will be moving in with him tomorrow.

Sheila

http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS