Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:48:56 -0700
Well, it worried me a bit that I might be late to the arrival of my
Dutch friends, but even though I stopped and gave a few all-to-short
ferret talks, I still made to LAX with several hours to spare. And
they said it couldn't be done. Me being on time, that is.

I have to wait until the very late moment to decide if I will park the
car and carpool with my buddies, or stalk them in my red pickup. I have
to make sure I can zip back to fulfill my adoption obligations with
David and Kim. I think I will make the final decision before we leave
the southern California area.

The drive to California wasn't exactly ferret-free; I was listening to
my oral log from New Zealand. Almost put me to sleep several times, so
I must have chewed my way through 10 pounds of sunflower seeds to keep
alert. That and copious amounts of orange Mountain Dew. I only saw a
dozen or so phantoms dart across the road. OooOo.

The drive reminded me of way too many drives in the backcountry of New
Zealand. I was spotlighting for feral ferrets, but mostly found feral
cats, possums, rabbits, and hedgehogs. I stopped and picked up one 'hog
the size of a soccer ball. I was never very successful spotlighting
feral ferrets on the north island, but did better on the south island.
On this drive to California, I counted and photographed 41 deer, 3 elk,
3 fox, 6 coyotes, 18 raccoons, 2 opossums, and a blurry, hairy butt
that could only belong to a black bear. Or a New York taxi driver. It
was very clear while driving through both countries that there were
huge similarities in terms of what the countryside looked like, but
predators in New Zealand that could take down a feral ferret were few
and far between.

And make no mistake, the animals slinking through the woods *ARE* feral
ferrets. I was fortunate enough to visit people who had taken in some
of these animals as pets and their behaviors were spot on the
predictions I had made in my scientific design proposal.

Making those verbal logs was the smartest thing I did. I can't imagine
what it would have been like if I would have had to write out all those
thoughts. I think my best rest was when my friend Michelle drove me to
several ferret owner's houses; I think I was snoring before the engine
was started. We returned from one trip and I had a few minutes to talk
before I needed to rush south for appointments. She had a magic chair
that apparently sucked consciousness out of me while I was talking --
I fell asleep in mid-sentence! I slept in that chair for several hours
before Michelle sent me packing.

When my camera gear was stolen in Europe near the end of the trip,
all the memory cards were taken as well, so I lost most of my visual
records. It makes those verbal logs all the more important. I hope I
can replace some of them later. I especially miss the visual records
of the hybrids.

I've been asked by several people in the southwest if I would be
returning home that way. It depends; if I have to rush back, it will be
more or less straight out I-40, up to I-70, and home. If I don't have
to rush back, I might be convinced to return at least partway by I-10.
I have some friends in Texas I miss and would really like to see.

Thanks for all the wonderful letters from concerned FMLers who are so
worried about my recent surly nature. If I knew being a bit testy I
would get so many nice comments, I would have become more cranky in the
past. My goal now is to evolve into a cranky, crusty, curmudgeon so I
can more virtual hugs.

See Jackie -- I am *NOT* always "pathologically nice!" ;-)

Bob C